Long term ppi

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I'm on omeprazole 20mg twice a day for almost two years for reflux, constantly worried about the damage they may be doing, has anyone been longer on them and still OK, anytime I try to come off them I get horrible rebound reflux and end up back in square one, plus even though I'm on them I still have symptoms

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you read the recent medical research on this drug? It has been in the papers this week.  I have only been on it for a shoetmwhile but have discontinued it due to the long term effects including anxiety and dementia.  It says you should never be on this for more than 14days but drs give it out all,the time.  Researxh the article.
    • Posted

Hi, I couldn't find anything in papers from last week, there is always something about them and has been for past 10 or so years, but I don't think there has ever been a really big study just a few people here and there some of whom do not even have bad reflux.  For me, getting cancer from the acid is far worse than a bit of anxiety, which I have anyway.  Who knows about dementia lots of thing can add to this condition, now it looks like PPI's are one of them. I hate being on them but unless there is a radical cure from reflux I guess I am stuck 

• Posted

Hi, 

in regard to ppi’s there is mounting evidence that long term use can cause  kidney problems and other serious health issues. There is a reason the manufacture and FDA stipulates they should not be used for more then 14 consecutive days or 21 days in an Year. I understand doctors ignore those warnings and tell patients they can stay on them long term.

Have you considered surgery to cure the problem rather than using medications as a bandaide?  

• Posted

Hi, Whilst I understand all this, there is no proof from anyone I know who takes them that they cause these problems, I have just had a kidney test as part of a routine check up following a change of doctors surgery, they are perfectly within normal range so after 12 years they have not caused me any problems. I do not have a hernia or anything that can be operated on, so for me surgery would be of no use, my GP said I have excess acid production and there is no operation that can help it, so unfortunately for me I am stuck.  I do try to come off them periodically but I am drowning in acid which in itself causes dangerous problems so for me personally I cannot take too much notice of these reports, the last one I read said the test was carried out on people who had no medical reason to be on them, just indigestion from too much over indulgence, something I don't do because of the increased acid and of course if you take something that just goes into your system doing nothing it will cause problems.  I personally am more afraid of all the anti-depressants doctors give out like smarties,  I was offered them when I had hot flushes.  

• Posted

Do you take anything for your anxiety? .

maybe you are not on warfarin but one of the new anticoagulant medicines, if so can you advise what they arelike, any side effects etc

• Posted

HI Ann, no I don't want to take anymore pills really, I try to deal with as it is just health and age related, don't want to get old, but unfortunately you can't do anything about it LOL.

?I started on apixiban 2 x per day which drove me nuts as I was not always able to take exactly 12 hours apart.  So I am on edoxaban 1 per day and that suits me better, no blood tests, you can eat grapefruit and cranberry etc as they are different, I certainly haven't been told to keep of them. I have had no side effects at all.  They didn't offer warfarin because of the blood tests needed, so cheaper for them and better for me as I have really unhelpful veins.  The one downside of the modern ones are that at the minute there is no antidote to reverse, that said they gradually reduce in the blood so I think they manage bleeding well, I hope I never have to find out.  With regard to PPI and Zantac they work differently so zantac will not stop production of acid, if you can manage without the PPI that would probably be better, but omeprazole is a really strong one, there are many others so you may be able to ask for a different one. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.