long term rash possibly from sewage exposure

Posted , 2 users are following.

Back in 1999 when I got my first apartment I used to sit in the shower in the mornings before work (i had to be at work at like 4am). After I became sick I later realized that sewage was backing up into the tub.

One night I woke up and all the sudden had the following symptoms -

cramping, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, anal itching. I only threw up once, but the other symptoms lasted about a week. The itching has never really went away, and has spread to the groin area in places that my skin touches each other. Seems to be much worse when it is hot.

I have never went to a dermatologist for this, just because of the embarrassing location of the problem. I know a huge mistake on my part because being uncomfortable in general has caused me to loose 4-5 jobs since this has happened.

I regularly use cortisone, terrasil and calamine, but recently even working a full 8 hour shift makes symptoms worse.

I posted how the rash or whatever it is looks on my upper inner leg, I currently do not have insurance so if anyone has an over the counter suggestion or something else I can try, would be very grateful.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

It may be a fungal rash. Stop using cortisone, terrasil and calamine. Wash well with a dandruff shampoo, work up a lather and leave on the skin for 2 minutes, especially if you can find one with selenium sulphide as part of the ingredients. Rinse well. Dry well and then apply a cream containing Clotrimazole. You should be able to buy this in a pharmacy. Look for Canesten ointment or you could try one for athletes foot. that contains this medication. Do this every day

This will be worse if you are wearing polyester/nylon clothing. Try to change to 100% cotton. Try to sleep with no clothes if possible

As long as there are no bad reactions to the shampoo or cream, keep treating for 2 weeks and if you see an improvement, just use twice per week from then on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.