Long term side effects of lithium carbonate

Posted , 20 users are following.

I have been taking lithium carbonate for nearly eight years. I have recently had my meds upped to 1000mg at night. I am not bi-polar but suffer from severe recurrent depression. I would like to know the effects both reversal and irreversible of long term lithium use? I have regular blood tests where thyroid and liver function are checked. Thankyou.

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was in the beginning stages of renal collapse from years of lithium therapy.  Make sure you have regular kidney function tests.  As for depression, look at your environment and your life.  Are there things that are making you sad and hopeless?  Do you have unresolved issues from early life?  Do you have healthy and functional relationships?

Your environment and upbringing influence your adaptability and moods far more than you might realize.  I was in a controlling religious cult and had never dealt with early trauma.  I was only able to stop psych drugs when I addressed my issues and formed healthy relationships and finally let my past behind. 

• Posted

Recovered1215 - You are right on with looking at environment and life. I'm making big changes there and keeping my stress levels low. Got all the energy vampires, irrational, unchecked mentally ill, users, and controlling/angry jerks out of my life. That's been a huge help. Working deeply on the unresolved stuff is helping as well. Re-parenting myself too and trying to have some joy when and where I can.

• Posted

Hi recovred1215-  Is you renal function better?  I did every thing I was supposed to do with the lithium- one time I did get toxic due to the fact that my PCP at the test got all the test results and didn't send those results to my psychologist- so a month late I had some of the weirdest things happening to me- saw my psychologist and took care of the problem.  I had eaten healthy, exercised every day, stayed active- but the lithium became poison in my body and even though I haven't taken it for 10 years, it's still in there doing damage to my body.  I never was bi-Polar and that's what gets me the most, a misdiagnosis from an opinion of a psychologist put me in this position, so I am suffering needlessly, for the rest of my life.  I'm so glad you are doing well.  I am working on it and am hoping a lot of determination and positive thinking will help me with my medical issues.

• Posted

The lithium is no longer in your body.  I don’t know what the half-life is but there is zero chance you have ANY lithium left in you. What you may have are residual effects on your systems because of the lithium.  You may have kidney issues, for example, but a very  healthy lifestyle, avoiding environmental toxins, eating whole foods and avoiding pesticides, GMO, etc will do a lot to repair the damage that’s been done.  Consider seeing a naturopath, or a practitioner of Ayervedic medicine or Traditional Chinese Medicine if you believe you have issues.  

The #1 thing you have to do is to forgive - forgive yourself AND those who misdiagnosed and mistreated you.  You will never find the peace and health you seek without real forgiveness.  

• Posted

Hi recovered1215-  Thank you so much for the positive message.  Lately my life has been a mess.  On April 23, I go in for open heart surgery, then after I'm recovered a bit from that I start seeing my Nephrologist, because of my Stage 4 Kidney disease.  Then I will be doing what I absolutely can to get myself better.  No Drugs!  I do live healthy and exercise, etc.  But it didn't get me too far yet.  You are right I need to forgive- I am finding that hard with some of the real abusers in my past life- but I will get there.  you have the totally right attitude and I wish there was someone in my life just like you!  Thank You So Much

• Posted

I am glad I read the posts in this thread. I am stopping the Lithium and seeing how I do. Only on 450 mg. anyway and got on HRT which I feel is helping me more. I am just too worried about it and I want to see how I do without it by now. I believe me going to the sauna a few times a week, swimming, and doing other things is helping me more anyway. The worst that will happen is I get depressed again and revisit the idea of it. Have bipolar 2 disorder with mostly recurrent depression being the worst thing.
    • Posted

I too am a Bi Polar type 2 patient. Are you sure going of your meds are a good idea? I am just concerned that you may not actually realize a severe depression & become suicidal, or have a hypo-mania & do something that would be unthinkable in a healthy mind.

• Posted

Hi - I have fallen back into severe depression over time. It really sucks to have an illness that has so much stigma and the only thing that helps is something I cannot see taking long term. I have been doing everything right and recently changed to a Paleo diet and I am still really depressed. I tend to have seasonal shifts that are worse at times than others. Right now, going through my usual Spring/Summer depression which I think is inflammatory but who knows?

I am going to try and see if just 300 mg Lithium Carbonate helps as opposed to 450 which seemed to be helping. I am just too terrified for my long-term health with this stuff. I need to see my doctor and see if he can do more testing more often to make me feel safer about it. I am 51 and so this makes me worry more about this stuff.

• Posted

I started taking lithium about 20 years ago. I was only on it for a couple of years. I can tell you what systems I've had lasting effects from it, as well as family members.

Tremors- Still to this day my hands shake, and I've been told that sometimes my head does mildly as well. I don't like to take pictures with my phone because I have to take multiples in hopes that 1 is clear.

Memory Loss- My memory continues to be terrible, but, it had improved some with time before a car wreck I had (resulting in a TBI). Haven't been able to tell you what I had for lunch that day, but I can still tell you about a family vacation 40 years ago.

Kidney Function- Fortunately, I personally haven't had to cross this path yet. But I've had 2 members of my family who've suffered from kidney disease. My father was in stage 3 renal failure before he died, compliments of lithium & it's side effects. It was bad enough that he had a prescription just so he could pee.

Diabetes- Again, another nasty side effect my father had handed to him compliments of lithium. I personally am glucose impaired (pre-diabetes to some) and it is thought to be another lasting effect. It's just a matter of time before I am a full blown diabetic- yay me! LOL.

Weight Gain- I gained over 50 lbs before I was weaned off of it. But that was minor compared to the 100 lbs in less than year from Depekote. I'm still 100 lbs overweight.

I also suffer from gastro-intestinal issues that may be related, but it still unclear.

Now, before you think that you're damned to my path, that doesn't mean you'll be the grand prize winner. I've also know people who have recovered almost fully years later.

Honestly, I'm confused on why your Dr. has you on it for depression. Typically, as it was explained to me, it is not an antidepressant. It is used as a mood stabilizer to prevent Bi-Polar patients from antidepressant induced manias.

None the less, I hope I've been helpful. I wish you only the best in this journey we call life.

• Posted

How much were you on again? Wondering about supplemental Iodine for the thyroid. What do you do now for depression?
    • Posted

I meant this to be for If Only, I think. I can't think straight on depression either!

• Posted

I do not recall what my dosage was. I am on synthriod for hypothyroidism, and I currently take Seroquel (mostly for my insomnia) Lamictal & Zolfoft, as well as Cymbalta for my fybro. I've been stable for over a decade.

• Posted

That is great. None of those things worked for me. Was on the highest dose of Lamictal 450 mg.. Strange it never did much. Can't take even small doses of antidepressants when for years, I used to be benefit from them - for a while.  Just started feeling better upon adopted a more "Paleo" type diet and continuing to get outdoors for exercise and use a dry sauna 2-3 days a week. My stability seems hard to come by without Lithium and even then, not perfect, but I am working on other areas more stringently by now - of my life experiences, thinking, and emotional things.

• Posted

I am so sorry you have issues with the current available meds. But I am glad that you've been able to adapt & make things work. I think that is amazing. It goes to show what you can achieve within yourself. I was discussing bipolar with some other patients that were complaining on verbage of I am Bipolar vs I have Bipolar. Apparently, this really upsets some. Long story short I explained that I am Bipolar, because it's the cards I was dealt, but I refuse to let Bipolar have me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.