Long term side effects of lithium carbonate

Posted , 20 users are following.

I have been taking lithium carbonate for nearly eight years. I have recently had my meds upped to 1000mg at night. I am not bi-polar but suffer from severe recurrent depression. I would like to know the effects both reversal and irreversible of long term lithium use? I have regular blood tests where thyroid and liver function are checked. Thankyou.

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. 

Let me give you some hope. 

I have been on lithium for about 15 years. My dosage was 2400 mg for that period of time. This is a significant level of toxicity. Once I detoxed off of it, and once all the subsequent effects of it went away over a period of about 10 months, I went back to see my neurologist. I see him every year, actually twice a year. The reason is, the parkinsonism that I develope I have been on lithium for about 15 years. My dosage was 2400 mg for that period of time. This is a significant level of toxicity. Once I detoxed off of it, and once all the subsequent effects of it went away over a period of about 10 months, I went back to see my neurologist. I see him every year, actually twice a year. The reason is, the parkinsonism that I developed   As a result of lithium and other psychiatric drugs is not well studied. Lithium, which has been a generic drug for over 50 years, has no funding for study of its effects neurologically.    There is simply no financial incentive for pharmaceutical companies to find studies of lithium and it’s long-term neurological effects.    The net result of this is for me, that my neurologist has recommended that I see him for a period of about seven years following cessation of drugs. He told me, that the reason is that within seven years the body has 100% regenerated every cell. My psychiatrist told me that the effects of the drugs I had been on would last about two years. I think that’s about right based on my experience. I think this 2 to 7 year window is really the critical period of healing your brain and body from the effects of drugs. My neurologist has recommended that I see him for a period of about seven years following cessation of drugs. He told me, that the reason is that within seven years the body has 100% regenerated every cell. My psychiatrist told me that the effects of the drugs I had been on would last about two years. I think that’s about right based on my experience. I think this 2 to 7 your window is really the critical period of healing your brain and body from the effects of the s of these drugs.  I wish you the best luck in complete healing. Remember that we are not meant to be in dysfunction. Our bodies, our souls, our relationships, and everything in us is designed to heal. You are not meant to be broken forever.  You should know that my psychiatrist has discharged me, and my neurologist is only monitoring my situation temporarily. I wish you the best of luck in your complete healing and recovery of health both mental and physical. 

• Posted

Wow. That is a lot to have dealt with. I know someone with Parkinson's.

One of the things that greatly evens me out ( at least temporarily and more so if done consistently), is dry sauna sessions 2-3 times a week. These are also said to help the brain build BDNF and reduce chances of things like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. I know that Lithium is also said to help BDNF ( brain derived neurotrophic factor), but maybe only in lower doses?

I just started to feel better in the last day or two on a Paleo type diet. Just wake up with my head feeling a bit more clear. I don't do well with carbs and sugars with this mood disorder. So I am trying a dietary change before I keep trying to take Lithium. I just have low tolerance anymore for the constant recurrent severe depression that I also seem to get every Spring and early to mid summer. In the last two years, I have had to wonder if it has to do with pollens and brain inflammation from cytokines. On the other hand, I have read that bipolar mood shifts can occur when seasons change. Some of us may be just more neurologically sensitive to various shifts and experiences. I also do really poorly with SAD symptoms if not enough light.

If my diet does not cover this, I might have to cycle on and off low dose lithium or get ECT treatments. Nothing else has worked. Also, I am getting rid of stress as much as possible. Not avoiding life, but avoiding stress. I have not made good decisions at times due to bipolar or have not thought things through, including my limits, as I also deal with ME/CFS/FMS and have thus caused myself a lot of extra triggers for stress and crash cycles in both illnesses.

Thank you for offering hope and I am glad it seems you are going much better. Thanks for the reminder that we are designed to heal if we try different things and set up the conditions.

• Posted

This is the link about Lithium and BDNF. Maybe it is dose dependent over time and yet it can do other kinds of harm -  like a lot of things, I suppose. I am having trouble understanding the medical jargon exactly, but it seems they say it can be neuroprotective but then may have other issues (?) There are many other articles like this online. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12504924

• Posted

I no longer have Parkinson’s.  When the drugs stopped over a 7 month period the symptoms gradually ceased.  I had a brain scan to diagnose Parkinson’s in Feb 2015.  It was positive.  I titrated off all drugs over 7 months, and my neurologist repeated the scan in December 2015 and it was negative.  I’m asymptotic for Parkinson’s now.   Thank GOD.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.