Long term stool softener use

Posted , 4 users are following.

Most recently I have been through a fissure episode that took several weeks to resolve, however as soon as I started to reduce my stool softener intake, hard-ish stools returned and the fissure came back after 3 days. I'm worried about reliance on these products, but can't see any way to stay off them. Has anyone had issues from using such products long term? I've been using docusate sodium. I also find sometimes I need to boost it with milk of magnesia. I do all the right things such as fibre, water, diet...

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

I wonder the same

questions though...

how long did you have the fissure before it was resolved and what did you do?

thanks

• Posted

I've had fissures a few times over the last 5 years. They usually heal quickly but this time it took over 6 weeks and was completely debilitating with extreme pain lasting all day and sometimes to the point of blacking out after a BM. I increased my water intake by a great deal. So much so I had to urinate every hour. I have IBS-C and am always careful with my diet, to keep regular. I used nitro cream and lidocaine cream, sitz baths and coconut oil. My gastroenterologist told me to take 3 stool softeners 3 times a day and after 6 weeks it got better over only a couple of days. I was so happy. I decided to wean myself off the softeners, but when I reduced them to 1 x 3 times daily the fissure reopened, so I feel like I'm back to square one.

• Posted

sorry to hear that.

I was doing ok and than had a big BM due to eating sweets and breads (worst choice) .did not strain but noticed the pain and burning was worse after.

coconut oil in the bath??

• Posted

Yes, a little in the bath seems to soothe things a little, maybe it's just the aroma of coconut that helps.

You just made me realise that I spoiled myself with a big piece of raisin toast 2 days ago (I avoid bread generally but was in need of a treat). I wonder if that's all it took to ruin me...

• Edited

i have been using fybogel for two weeks and plenty of water i think it is safe but my priority now is to heal the fissure once it is healed need to speak to the doctor or dietician to get proper regime to avoid hard stools

• Posted

Yeah how are you going about healing? I agree dietician is a great idea x

• Posted

I am actually following a diet developed with my dietician for my IBS-C. Maybe stress brought this on for me. There's a lot of it ab right now!

• Posted

barry u might be right the stress..i have lost weight and im not sure if that is anything to do with it.This too shall pass try homeopathy

• Posted

I've tried a homeopathic product specifically for fissures. Amazingly it worked to relieve pain, but only for a minute.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.