Long Term Swelling and Scar on Wrist

Posted , 2 users are following.

Around 3-4 years ago I went through a very painful and scarring accident, my family owns horses and have been around them all my life. One day, as I was taking care of some friends with my sister, the lead rope(used to lead the horse) wrapped around my arm and the horse pulled back... this left my arm broken and a nasty burn flesh wound, along with humongous amounts of swelling. Over the course of 3 months it slowly healed and the swelling gradually went down. Now, 3-4 years later the scar is very prominent on my wrist but much smaller, I don't mind the scar too much, but I still have some swelling that causes it to have a slight hump om my skin along my wrist, almost like a ridge before my hand starts. I was wondering if any of you have any advice as to why this swelling is still here, or even how to help it? Also, any advice to reduce the scar is greatly welcomed, but I really and truely hate the swelling the most. Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Thomas! What an unfortunate accident you had! Did your doctor have any suggestions about the chronic swelling on your wrist? If not, maybe another doctor would have some suggestions and possibly be able to treat it. As for the scar; if your medical doctor can't suggest anything, maybe you could do some research online and read about some more natural remedies. I had an accident quite awhile ago and it sure changed my life. I was hoping to get my cast off soon, but I haven't completely healed. Anyhow, I just wanted to pop by and I hope things get better for you.

• Posted

Thank you so much! And yes during recovery and after I went to see my doctor for check ups, at that time the swelling was a bit worse and he said it would gradually go away, three years later it hasn't but I haven't been back since then. And I've read about Mederma(?) scar cream, might try it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.