Long term tinnitus with cold symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey there all,

For almost a year I have had on/ off tinnitus, for the past 4 months it has now decided to be there all the time. Now for the past 5 weeks I've started noticing on off cold symptoms, this has included pressure in the sinuses mainly around the right eye, sneezing, slight fever, balance problems if I moved my eyes (this has some what improved recently), sometimes feel unwell. Some times if i was to bend down to get something I could hear the mucus moving in my ear (almost like a sucking sound), I assume the excess mucus is obstructing my blocked eustachian tubes.

After trying to find out a reasonable explanation why this is happening apart from the most serious of illnesses, I have realised my surroundings are very dusty ( my fault). So could these symptoms all come from an reaction from dust and the mold in the dust?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

allergies can cause all kinds of crazy things to happen.....including ear problems like tinnitus, ear fullness, balance problems.  Best advice is to see an ENT doctor and allergist (also an ENT doctor).  The problems you describe sound like fluid buildup within the ear(s).  ENT likely to prescribe a diuretic that will pull fluid out of ears and reduce symptoms.  Good luck
  • Posted

Your problem of tinnitus and if cold happend at the same time it could be viral attack. You said recently started cold indicates sinus or temporary viral. Earlier tinnitus can be done something.. once cold problem rectified,
  • Posted

Well I've spoken to my doctor who has said it sounds like a sinus infection, he's given me some antibiotics. I've now noticed if I've been asleep and Im still pretty tired after awaking, I have a pressure above my right eye where my sinus is and if I move my eyes I get a strange buzzing sensation, my titinus also changed tone as well. A very strange symptom. On the plus side I have seen some improvement in me while on the antibiotics. But with the buzzing sensation I don't know what to think now.

Does this still sound like a sinus infection? I'm now getting to the point I feel like I'm losing my mind.

• Posted

Mwight87,

I feel yr pain. Have had tinnitis for well over a year. Along with it at times comes lightheaded Ness as well as an off balance in the gead. The sounds will and do change. This is in the brain, not the ears. At times when I am stressed. The sound is louder. I have began to notice that sugar an sweets affects it as well. I PRAY yours will leave. My ENT said since iv had mine this long, it will not leave. So I am learning what triggers the bad days and learning how to deal with the beyter. This is ongoing for me 24/7. Iv researched so much for a year gaining only small steps but will Continue striving for a cure. Hope you are able to drown it out as much as you are able..It does get tolerable most days tho...pray for cure for all of us who suffer with this horrendous symptom of something..

• Posted

I'm a lot better today, I was just very stressed and extremely tired when I write my last post. If I have to live with the tittinus then I can live with it. The balance issues I hope start going away after my antibiotics. Once thing I found is stress be tiredness make every symptom worse.

• Posted

Yes, you are sooo right. When I am tired or stressed or sugared up, look out..my ears scream..so glad u r feeling better and have a gr8t attitude..hope I can be accepting of this one day if it does continue.
  • Posted

Correction to my previous post. Sorry was written on my phone:

I'm a lot better today, I was just very stressed and extremely tired when I wrote my last post. If I have to live with the tittinus then I can live with it. The balance issues I hope start going away after my antibiotics. Once thing I found is stress and  tiredness make every symptom worse.

• Posted

Hey all,

It seems ive gone back to square one with my symptoms, i started this morning allright, then as the hours past im back to square one and had to go to bed for a few hours. is this a sign the antibiotics are not working? ive now been on them for 5 days, I didnt think my symptoms would go up and down like a yoyo?

• Posted

Notice if you are stressed more, have eaten sugar, have been around loud noise, or real tired

All this affects. Mine is 24/7. But iv learned to deal with it mostly but sometimes it is horribly loud and I almost panic. Usually tho when one of the above happens..sad

• Posted

its not so much the tinnitus, its the feeling ill, balance issues, pressure round my top right eye.  Im just very concerned, i felt like i was on the mend, now here i am on day 5 on the antibiotics and now i feel at square one again.
    • Posted

When mine first started, I too felt discombobulated. It was awful. I still at times get the feeling of predizzy feel..hard 2 explain. I also get pressure behind my left eye. Almost like a strain, yet it bothers me even if I'm not reading. Has gone it right eye a few times but mostly my left. Just so confusing my symptoms..lightheaded Ness at times, ears ringing, eye pressure, acid reflux, throat irritation, swelling of lingual tonsils in far back of throat. Swollen lymph node under arm...Need I say more...unreal..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.