Long term urinary cathering

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am in a situation where I will be faced with long term urinary cathering.   My Uro has shared with me the need to consider long term cathering. He has told me of two system, Foley or Suprapubic.  Want to know comments of either system for long term. Thanks,  

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

......But he or she has left out the third system: Clean Intermittent Catheterization (CIC). True, this one does depend on certain factors being present (healthy urethra,you having reasonably good dexterity.). Why not ask your uro about this one? Wishing you luck in your endeavors. Alan.
  • Posted

Sorry, I hadn't read the other posts! They are all good ones. Go for any of them if you possibly can. Alan'

• Posted

Yoshi, we have quite an assembly here of people doing CIC, guided by Jim James. Join in if you can.

Personally, I have had Foley for a couple of days on end, two times, and I prefer CIC. Z

• Posted

I was introduced to CIC on here and it was good advice, but currently have Foley installed as cannot CIC due to being unable to get it past my Prostate. Never had Suprapubic but think it would avoid having a sore penis and bypassing which happens to me quite often with Foley.
    • Posted

Thanks, I too have Foley installed now too. Uro wants me see how it feels having it in longer than a week. I wonder how it feels long term. I need to hear from anyone who currently have a Suprapubic. Wondering how it feels it protruding out of the abdomen and how it's held in place going to the drain bag etc.  My Uro said you won't know it's there but you gotta hear from people who live with it. Thanks all for the comments. 

• Posted

There are studies out there on suprapubic versus Foley. Patient satisfaction favors the Suprapubic. You should also know that the suprapubic is very easy to reverse. They just pull it out and the small hole in the abdomen heals very fast. I don't see any downside at all to trying it. Don't like it, just have them take it out and go back to the Foley.

Jim

• Posted

I've had a suprapubic catheter for about five years.  It gets changed by a community nurse every eight weeks or so.

There seems to be quite a bit of ignorance even on the part of medical staff regarding suprapubic catheters being used without a bag.  Flip-Flo valves are fine when used with a bag, but not great for use without a bag. There are better valves available.

With the benefit of a few years of experience I've figured out the best way of locating and using the suprapubic catheter. I slit a large adhesive dressing and slide it over the location where the catheter comes through the body.  I then place an adhesive dressing retention patch over the dressing, thus preventing the catheter tube from moving or tugging at the exit point.  I have made up a very light belt with a 6" dropper on to which I have sewn the clip from a Statlock catheter retention device.  This is used to hold the loose end of the catheter, immediately behind the valve.  It's therefore very easy to empty the bladder into the toilet in a way which approximates to what you would do if you had a functional penis.  Infinitely better, in my view, than trying to locate the end of the catheter on a clip fixed tight to your leg.

• Posted

Super, do you have a stricture ? Is it a result from a previous surgery ? Hank
    • Posted

Hi Coigach,

Could you please elaborate on "there are better valves available" with names, etc, or are you just referring to the specific method you are using. Is your method something you came up with, or is it something that is more widely used?

Jim

• Posted

Jim, In all probability you may have put up a post on how to do CIC, regarding the procedure itself, where to buy the catheters, etc.  If you could send me the link, either privately or publicly, I'd be most appreciative.  Alan

• Posted

Foley every time for me. Couldn't C.I.C. and didn't get on with Suprapubic a few years ago. Once you get used to the Foley, and they use the correct Fr which avoids bypassing, it becomes a part of you and a way of life. 

• Posted

What was the issue you didn't get along with Suprapubic? If you don't want to reveal that's okay

• Posted

Peter, how long did you have the Foley on for ? They usually recommend Supra if it is long term need. Hank
  • Posted

I think the bottom line is that you're the only one who will know if you will like a suprapubic or not. That, and that you have nothing to lose by trying a suprapubic, as it's easily reversible. Studies support it for longer term in terms of patient satisfaction, so personally, I'd just try and see.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.