Long term use of Amlodipine

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hello

i have been using this drug for many years without problems, but recently I have begun to experience side effects which include swelling hands, ankles and calves.

aching legs and feeling very tired most of the time.

i am going to ask my GP if I can come off of this drug, I am interested in other  forum members experience with this perticular drug.

thanks

3 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

What am I missing here.

I do NOT get it.

How could any human being use this drug for years with NO side effects?

Then they just start years later?

This does not sound right.

• Posted

That my friend is the very question I will put to my doctor next week....
    • Posted

Hello Hitch,

As a long time user of drugs (unfortunately and reluctantly) for an anxiety disorder and for blood pressure, I have had to change drugs a number of times when one failed to work as before, of when a particular brand of generic had particularly negative side effects.

For example, Xanax (alprazolam) used to give me a nice euphoria for a while and calm my anxiety quickly. A wonder drug? As I have been changed to two different generics, it now gives me NO pleasant high (in fact, now a headache and unpleasant drowsiness, but it still stops panic attacks).

Also, I used to eat tons of oranges and lemons, and now they're like pouring sulfuric acid into my blood. No change from name-brand to generic here, though.

In answering your question, there are two factors that may be at work:

1. The body changes, adapts, alters its response to the substance. In many cases, like my reaction to citrus, it begins to reject the substance (as if it gets tired of having to deal with it). Ask any allergist - overconsumption of any food runs the risk of becoming allergic to that very food. Also, the age of the consumer has a lot to do with how they react to medicines, as older metabolisms do not process things in the same way as younger bodies.

2. The excipients (extra ingredients) in name-brand drugs and generic forms are often quite different. Most amlodipine (formerly Norvasc by US Pfizer) is generic now, most made by Lupin, a company in India. Although the main anti-hypertensive ingredient is still there, other different excipients (and water supply) may be used - and they may trigger negative reactions.

I hope this clarifies the issue a bit for you. It is complex and may have various causes, but it is not at all unreasonable that side effects may occur years after starting a medication.

I suppose that I was fortunate in that I began to experience negative side effects (perhaps to the basic amlodipine itself) only a couple of months after starting what I thought was the perfect answer to my blood pressure problems. The side effects apparently "took off" once it had reached a certain level of concentration in my body.

Since it has such a long half-life (persistence in the body), I am still experiencing hot flashes, high BP spikes, racing pulse, etc. - things that never occurred before I took Lupin amlodipine - the Indian generic, which also concerns me.

• Posted

Happened to me..been on 3 years and now experiencing calve swelling in both legs...have recently been taken off Amlod. But swelling continues...heard it might take 3 to 5 weeks to resolve. Have been checked for other isdues that might cause swelling..nothing else found.
    • Posted

How long does amlodipine stay in your system after discontinuing use?
    • Posted

Dear Colibri,

Your description  "India, a country ridden with pollution and disease" smacks of ignorance and malice, There are so many medicines manufactured in India and other countries; why would only amlodipine produce negative side-effects? And why only in your country or the Netherlands. Try to help the members in the Forum with studied and researched facts not with irresponsible revelations like "  I just watched a documentary on PBS that showed how the very water in India often carries an incurable bacteria (NDM-1).

Thanks.

• Posted

I cannot speak for others, but in my case it was a period of immobility for a knee op that caused the side effects. Just exploring this it is known that immobility itself causes limb swelling ( eg planes and coach travel). This effect is exacerbated as you age. Then factor in the propensity of amlodipine to cause swelling. It does not stretch the imagination to believe the synergistic effect of both sets of circumstances would cause acute swelling. In my case I was mobile from the knee op but the amlop. Swelling did not go down. The deep depression around my socks told it all. Discontinuing the amlop. Returned me to normal except for the peripheral neuropathy and hot feet when I lay down at night time ( not covered by bedding). This may or may not be connected but emerged at the same time. This heated effect and neuropathy appears permanent one year on. So to hypothesise again a period of less mobility might trigger adverse effects after years of no adverse effects. Maybe if you walked a lot and then for an unrelated reason you walk less, the adverse effects could start. My example was more extreme than this but so too was the adverse effect ( ie taking to a wheel chair and footwear not fitting). A lesser effect might arise if levels of lower limb activity are simply reduced.
  • Posted

Update 

My doctor has stopped me taking amlodipine.

Its been 3 days with no amlodipine and ankles are normal again, no swelling at all.

Leg pain has reduced significantly. I feel less tired too.

Was right for me to come off this drug...

• Posted

I feel the same, I have been on it since 9 Nov 2015 (4 Months) - Also I wake up in the night with terible formication (Formication is the medical term for a sensation that resembles  small insects crawling on / under the skin.​)
  • Posted

I was on it for years until a year or two ago I was alarmed when i noticed just how swollen my ankles were with deep marks left by my socks.

I was told by an out of hours GP that after 2 years of use this can happen.

Just shows how carefull you should be monitoring your medication, I wasn't!

My calves remain swollen and don't feel right sometimes when walking.

Is there any legal action being taken do you know?

• Posted

Having exactly the same problem after using amlodipine for a few years. Deep dents at sock line. Press on skin on shin abive sock line and the swollen area remains indented.

How long did it take for swelling to go away around sock line after discontinuing use of Amlodipine?

GP states this will go away...someone on this site said it took 3 to 5 weeks for them. In addition, not sure if related, portion of my left calve has atrophied.

GP checked for blood clots in legs...no vascular problems found.

• Posted

Hi Dave, sorry only just found your post.

"How long did it take for swelling to go away around sock line after discontinuing use of Amlodipine?"

Not sure (that's a lot of help), weeks or months but still get some mark from tight sock after maybe 1 year+, but maybe normal.

"Having exactly the same problem after using amlodipine for a few years. Deep dents at sock line. Press on skin on shin abive sock line and the swollen area remains indented."

I've also noticed the remaining indentation, but less so lately..

People have commented how muscley my calves are and "do you do a lot of cycling?" and the answer is no, I haven't been on a bike regularly since I was at school!

It's been a year I guess, or more and my calves just don't look right, ankles not so bad, but calves, although hard when tensed, look so 'podgy' when relaxed. Spoke to a doctor who said that his mother in Law, had swollen legs from  Amlodipine, but he said they were going down, but very slowly. I have noticed mine are less swollen after a nights sleep, but gradually "pump up" somewhat during the day. I have had attacks of cramp in my calves in the night for years, which involve bouts of shouting out with the agonising pain. God knows what my neighbours think.cheesygrin Sorry if not much help

• Posted

What I am extremely curious about is "has anyone taken this medication" and is happy with it?  Is it responsible for anyone on this earth's bp problem by reducing their bp to normal levels - say around 120/80 - or whatever normal is - with no side effects - so I am wondering how safe is this stuff - didn't work for me - and all I see are complaints/concerns and would hate to see this medication be responsible for someone's death - can't understand why it is even prescribed - kinda scarey.

• Posted

Hi xizziz - It does appear that a small number of people do get bad side effects BUT the vast majority have none or very mild.  In my case, I have been taking Amlodipine since 2001 and all I can say is has kept my BP at 'normal' for 16 years with zero side effects!  It's been around for a very long time - many decades.  If you are taking, or about to take, Amlodipine and it's not working for you don't just stop taking them, but go back to your MD/GP and request a different type of BP med. the worst thing is to do nothing as you are leaving yourself open to Heart problems, Strokes etc.

• Posted

Hi John I am on Lisiniprol which is very effective for me - but have lost a lot of weight and now my bp runs as low as 95/60, most the time it is around 105/78 or something like that as I am afraid to stop taking it and have another brain aneurysm rupture smile  Can I ask what is your normal readings?

• Posted

Yea me too. I stopped it after a week   Dizzy. Ringing in my ears. And more. Horrible.  
    • Posted

Hi I was given this drug on Monday - started taking it on Tuesday and started to have slight headaches and a bit nauseous. Took it on Wednesday and went to work with bad headache and feeling very flushed and nauseous. By lunchtime I was in a right state, pains started down my arms, headache worsened and nausea getting worse, got very upset about it so picked kids up from scholl and went straight to bed. I slept for 2.5 hours (phone rang and woke me up) so got up. No appetite but felt a bit better. Ate something small a bit later and went to bed as usual. Woke up at 2am with pains in my ankles. Still have a headache today so have taken pain killers but no amlodipine. I will not take this again and will go back to my doctor. I would rather drop down dead one day after feeling normal than live for years feeling like that!! I have not read one good thing about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.