Long term use of Bisoprolol- withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this site, but so happy to have found it. I took Bisoporol for 25 years, because of high blood pressure. At the time i was suffering from anxiety and depression and my bp shot up every time it was taken and continued to do so every time i had it taken. I have a monitor and it was ok when I took it, classic white coat! In Jan 2020 I started to get missed heart beats and a few other heart related symptoms. I had an ecg and a 24 hr monitor. My dr said nothing was wrong. I had noticed that if i forgot the odd bisoporol i was fine so eventually persuaded the Dr that I needed to come off the b. I had been on 5mg it was reduced over a few weeks until i was off completely, this was August last year. My bp is fine but i am still getting episodes of my heart feeling as if its beating hard, though not fast, i have a fit bit so see the figures. . sorry this is so long, I dont feel breathless or dizzy, I just wonder how long its going to take for this horrible feeling to go, I also very occasionally get proper heart palpitations lasting about 30 mins. I have started taking magnesium this week. Please help with any advice i would be so grateful

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Jo

I took bisoprolol for palpitations and they made mine worse. It took me 8 months to wean off them and it has left me with more ectopics then when I went on bisoprolol.

I now take 200mgs of magnesium citrate a day a two 500mg taurine tablets. These do help to soften the pounding on the chest and take about a week to start working. These were both approved by my consultant who also said a could take L-Arginine but I found these made me a bit anxious but other people have found they are ok and work well.

Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.