Long term use of naltrexone

Posted , 3 users are following.

I haven't been on here for a long time, but back now as things not working out. It's about my daughter (36) who has been taking Naltrexone for at least 18months..at first it seemed to be working and the good part is that she has not been "off her head" since then. However she seems almost to be trying to outwit it and forces herself to drink beer about 5 nights a week, after taking a tablet, and still drinking up to ten units a day. I am deeply worried as she has anxiety and depression anyway and I know the naltrexone stops the good feeling too, and I've no idea what side effects long term use of this tablet might have..and its expensive (she's on benefits so I'm paying). If I was reading this post by someone else I would think "her daughter obviously doesn't want to give up so I'd leave her to it) which I get, but I'd really like any positive advice anyone could give. I'm scared of stopping providing because I don't want her to go back to the bad drinking nights, and I know she does want to be free of alcohol but finds life too scary without it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I provide free counselling support for those using this treatment, Liz.

Do you think she would be open to a chat with someone who has been there, done it, and got the t-shirt?

The thing with any treatment is that there does have to be some effort on the part of the person to change their drinking behaviour. The naltrexone helps with that but it won't magically stop her pouring 10 units down her neck unless she wants to change it.

Although naltrexone and reduced drinking is deemed safer than uncontrolled drinking without naltrexone, I would also suggest that you chat over the situation with her prescriber.

• Posted

Thanks Joanna. I think she would really like to talk to you, though its hard to get her to commit to anything at the moment. How would I arrange this?

• Posted

Google C3 Foundation Europe and then ask her to email me using the contact tab.

We use Skype so she will need that too.

I will say though that it really needs to come from her because that is a sign that she is committed enough to really want to start doing something different about her drinking levels. We can talk until we are blue in the face, but at some point, there really needs to be just a small bit of action from her that indicates she is ready to change the status quo.

• Posted

I cannot give much advice since i never took any medicine when i stopped and i am not a medical person. However, your daughter has to come to terms with her problems. It has to be said however painful it will be....anxiety and depression does not help, obviously. I feel.for you.Robin

• Posted

Thanks Robin, it helps to know that people understand how hard it is for someone who cares deeply about a person but feel helpless to make a difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.