Long term use of Zopiclone

Posted , 27 users are following.

I realise that nowadays, GP`s aren`t keen on prescribing the \"Z\" drugs, however I started taking Zopiclone in 1994, and to be honest, I still find them the most useful sleeping tablet, even after 17 years. The others Zolpidem and Zaleplon did not work at all for me.

Back when I was initially prescribed them the dose was 15mg and that`s what I take to this day. When I started my journey I was totally messed up, in many ways, and I was lucky to find myself under the care of a Consultant Psychciatrist that wasn`t afraid to prescribe \"unfashionable\" medications, hence my still being on them.

Initially, I was going through divorce, redundancy, bankruptcy, suicidal, self harming... etc. etc., and the main cause for this was my poly drug abuse, and alcoholism, and the problems with Family, ex, friends, health this caused.

To cut a long story short, all this caused a Heart attack when I was 37 years old, and this was the \"prompt\" that finally caused me to grow up.

I`ll restrict this to Zopiclone, as I think this drug is getting a bad press, and although some of it is deserved, I think that if taken properly, it remains an effective way to get some sleep.

From my experience, 15mg is the maximum effective dose, taking more will not make you sleep anymore or get to sleep any quicker, infact in my case taking over 15mg is counter-productive, and can be dangerous.

Basically I had to learn (and it took a long time) not to expect \"knock-out drops\", I find it is best to take them, and within 1/2hr be prepared to sleep. That is in bed, comfortable, dark, and quiet (if all these things can be managed that is). I don`t expect any extreme feelings of drowsiness, etc. in fact I usually cannot remember falling asleep, and often cannot remember dreaming, usually it seems that I close my eyes, and that`s it, it`s morning!. I also found that although many people find the amnesia that sometimes occurs can worry people, my way of looking at it is \"well that`s 33% of my problem solved\", as I`m sure everyone will know, there`s nothing worse than insomnia when you`re Depressed, anxious or worried, or in pain or whatever is keeping you awake 24hrs a day.

Everyone is different, and I see that many people find that Zopiclone is not for them, for many reasons.

If taken as prescribed, I haven`t found anything more effective than Zopiclone for Insomnia.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers Egggbert

6 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Seems that many people are having concerns about taking Zopiclone. I won`t comment about depression, because everyone has different experiences, and different medications seem to work for some and not others. All I can say is with regard to Zopiclone, I have been taking it almost constantly since 1994, I have a few times asked my Psych if I can try this that or the other Benzodiazepine, because I thought that Zopiclone wasn`t working anymore, believe me I`ve tried them all, as well as Chloral, Chlomethiazole, every drug you can name that ends in "..pam".

I have yet to find anything that is as reliable as Zopiclone for Insomnia.

It doesn`t (in my case) work like the usual sedatives (benys), I never really feel tired, relaxed, `zoned out` or anything like that.

it just seems that one minute Im awake, the next, it`s morning.

A word of caution though, Zopiclone is very Psychologically addictive. That is to say, I`ve found that if I don`t take them, I don`t have any physical withdrawals, or increase in Anxiety etc., I just can`t sleep.

I don`t know if other people actually become physically addicted to them or not. In my opinion, as a rule of thumb, if a medication works, it can be addictive.

All the best

Egggbert

• Posted

PS, I appear to have signed on with an account from somewhere else, I`m not advocating any activities that may have been refered to in "Airplane"
  • Posted

last night it took 7.5mg of zopoclone and 45mg of mirtazapine. the mirtazapine is ment to make you feel drowsy whilst the zopoclone is a hypnotic sleeping pill. as you can see i have cut down from 15mg of zopoclone the other night (which didn't work at all). i did go to sleep, which is a good thing but woke up two hours later and couldn't sleep anymore. my insomnia is really worrying me. i actually think i may eventually die from it. as what the hell do i do when zopoclone doesnt work. Up intill a few weeks ago i was sleeping well on the mirtazapine alone. i was doing so well that i thought i might be able to get off the mirtazapine all together. so i cut down to 30mg and experienced severe insomnia symptoms. itried for a few nights, when finally i gave up and took another 15mg of mirtazapine and 15mg of zopoclone and couldnt sleep at all again. since then ive been stuck on the zopoclone every night and have not been able to just use the mirtazapine. ive tried sleeping with just the mirtazapine but my head wont let go to let me sleep. What the hell do you do?
  • Posted

25 mg Seroquel (Quetiapine) are good for kips cheesygrin
  • Posted

thanks ive ordered 25mg of Seroquel and should get it in 7 to 10 business days. in the meantime i took 22.5mg of zopoclone and 45mg of mirtazapine last night and couldn't sleep at all. i ended up drinking a bottle of wine, which i did evenually sleep. woke up this morning feeling very tired. i feel very low there is something very wrong with me. i dont go to bed stressed or full of anxiety, just normal relaxed want to sleep mode. but i cant sleep at all. i just lie there for hours waiting for nothing. even in the early hours of the morning i lay there very tired unable to sleep for even five minutes. im convinced im going to die. no one can live if they dont sleep at all. i have been to my doctors and they quite coldly said there is nothing they can do and no other medication for me. i think i have something similar to sporadic fatal insomnia. no one is listening to me, but believe me its the worst thing in the world. something that is barely recognised and few people trained to deal with it.
    • Posted

Hi I know this an old thread but I was wondering if you got your problem sorted out in the end
    • Posted

Firstly, I doubt very much you will die of Insomnia, I`ve only heard of one occasion (in Italy) and this chap, although he died eventually did manage `cat naps` from time to time. Taking more than 15mg of Zopiclone I have found to be counter-productive. The dose I have found is 1 & 1/2 x 7.5mg (11.25mg) but you won`t get a UK GP to prescribe that amount since they changed Zopiclone to a CD4 drug. As it seems you are buying your tablets, try changing to something

like Nitrazepam for a week or two, and give your sleep mechanizm a chance to "reset" as it were before going back to Zopiclone, if that`s what you want to do.

Paddy

• Posted

Also, athough I think people are well meaning. Things like sleep diaries, removing electronics from the bedroom etc etc. are in my opinion akin to offering an Alcoholic in the depths of withdrawal an hour of Yoga, it just ain`t gonna work.

My personal opinion.

Paddy

• Posted

Seroquel is pretty hardcore, you should limit yourself to taking it to 3 nonconsecutive times a week, take it a few hours before you plan to go to bed smile Seriously, it's a very short term solution neutral

May I suggest that you print off some sleep diary sheets (search images using Google 'sleep diary template', there's a good one near the top, 2nd or 3rd result) to help you and your Doctor visualize your sleeping patterns, this would be more diagnostic than working off a hunch, maybe something as simple as a Melatonin supplement would be more helpful long term smile

• Posted

i tried Melatonin last night along with all the other meds. i just lay there for hours very calm and thinking normal things like you do when you go sleep. only thing was the switch that turns you off wasnt there i came off olanzapine about six weeks ago because im not phycotic. the thing is it used to help with sleep, but a bit to much if you know what i mean. i would sleep for up to 11 hours at a time. i think i may go back on it for a while and see if it makes a difference
  • Posted

I have been taking 7.5mg of zopiclone for the past 7 years. I have a stressful job and need a good nights sleep to perform well. Before taking it I was sometimes still awake at 6 in the morning and had to be up at 7. The metal taste soon disappears. I know that when i take my zopliclone at ten an hour or so later I will be asleep for 8 hours and have no side effects at all.
  • Posted

Hi All!

I had no problems falling asleep until I had Heart by-pass surgery in 1998. Since then my sleep pattern was severely disrupted. After about a year my GP prescribe 7.5MG Zopiclone and it worked wonders. After about 8 months I reduced the dose to 3.5mg and kept it there for about 10 years. However I have reverted to 7.5 because I started to wake up at about 3am and sleep again at about 5am. I am contemplating increasing it to 7.5mg+3.5mg per night if my GP agrees.

bendan

• Posted

I used to take temazapam at night until it was withdrawn many years ago.since then I have been on Zopiclone 15mg at night ever since.used to take 20mg of temazapam.I went into hospital earlier in the year.withdrew all my medication for 4 days owing to,may need surgery.did not sleep at all until I had my Zopiclone.to me it is just like turning a light out,and then it is morning.I had my biopsy on my lungs 1996.for. Cryptogenic fibrosin alveolitis
  • Posted

ive been on zopiclone for 5 years now. i now find it doesnt knock me out anymore. instead it kind of calms me down and gives a light dizzyness. its enough to sleep, so long as i have not overdone it during the day. i find if ive done to much alchol is the only solution and then i drink myself drunk and knockout. but even this is not working all the time. i travelled accross the atlantic the other day and didnt sleep at all over the night of travel. i drank a good amount of rum and coke and went to bed. slept for about an hour then woke up. found it really hard to fall asleep. then after 1am i felt the effects of alchol wearing off, so i took 7.5mg of zopoclone and then slept. im afraid of what im going to do when the zopoclone stops working. i dont know why but my head seems to tie itself into knots and then i cant sleep at all. without the zopoclone i fear for my health and wellbeing, and may even die. noone can live if you cant sleep at all
  • Posted

For your doctor to prescribe 15mg of Zopiclone off the bat is higher unusual because the top dose as agreed by.multiple Drs is 7.5mg. I myself have been prescribed it for the past 18months yet always been on that dose. My Dr told me if they begin to be ineffective another benzo. drug would be used in its place. I don't know tje reason why in all the medical books it advises to not prescribe more than 7.5mg doses bit there's gotta be a reason cause they're just as addictive as benzos and around the same price too. If I was you I really would look into this. like you I also suffer no addiction problems with it and take them everyday for weeks when I'm in huge pain yet can go weeks without taking with no.rebound insomnia at all when my pain is.under control. Really do believe you need to.speak to your doctor why je prescribed twice the recommended dose. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.