Long time ago

Posted , 2 users are following.

At the age of 60 in 1996 I had a cystoscopy (internal examination) as my urine flow was very weak and I was out of bed 6 or 7 times during the night. The urologist said "Your prostate would win a highly commended in a produce show" so he recommended a TURP to ease urine flow. The biopsy on the tissue removed showed traces of cancer. I went for a further needle biopsy which showed that it was well spread. My PSA count was only 6.5. I was offered the choice of Surgery, Radio Therapy or wait and see. Then the surgery was very serious as the latest robotic / micro surgery had not been invented. If I had surgery I could still have RT after if necessary. If I took the 'wait and see' route I was told that I would only have about 2 years. So I went for the surgery. It was quite intrusive but I got over it and for six years was fine albeit that it put a big dent in my sex life. I went for PSA tests every 6 months and after six years it started to rise again. I was then sent for Radio Therapy treatment. A total of 37 daily visits. It wasn't that bad but made me very tired. I am now 81 and falling apart with all sorts of age related ailments. But it has been 22 years since the PC and I have had no further problem with it. I had a stage 2 melanoma on my arm which was successfully removed and I have regular check ups as it would seem I have the cancer gene. It is worrying at the time to be told that one has cancer but keeping a positive mental attitude helps.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Wow,

Thank you for sharing. I think it is so valuable and important to hear from men who have had procedures done from quite a while ago. I'm glad they caught the cancer in time and you have been a survivor for all these years. Thank you for the update.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.