Long Time Codeine User

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been taking codeine for too many years. It escalated to 100 30mg codeine every 3 weeks. I decided on Sunday to stop and I feel like I am losing it. My head hurts so bad and I am sneezing non stop going to the ladies room etc. when does the headache ease up? Anybody?  I have zero support so am trying to find a group to go to in my area. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well done for taking this difficult step, Michelle!!!

These symptoms are typical of withdrawal and, I have been there so I totally empathise with you. You do feel like you're going nuts, but you have to keep telling yourself, through the pain, that these symptoms WILL PASS!! Usually it takes around 7 days for you to notice that the codeine is out of your system, but you will feel the psychological effects for longer - not much longer, seeing how strong you are and how much you want to stop taking codeine. If you are suffering from headaches/migraines, take Ibuprofen alongside paracetamol (at the same time) or a tablet for migraines that does not contain codeine (FYI Migraleve DOES contain codeine, so ask the pharmacist). 

Loperamide (Immodium or other brand) helps as it acts like an opiate, but does not cross the brain/blood barrier, meaning it's not addictive. You can also get Loperamide generic capsules from your GP. If you are in a very agitated state, causing you stress (which I'm sure you know makes migraines and headaches feel a million times worse), try taking something to calm you down - preferrably not prescription benzodiazepines, but something like Valerian root (Kalms or night time tea). If you do need benzodiazepines, like Diazepam, only take for a few days maximum as they are highly addictive and you'll just be replacing one addiction for another.

If you have the time to sleep, try and do it often. Try Sleepeze (Boots) or Nightol if necessary, for a short period. You will feel drowsy most of the time, but it will ease the withdrawals whilst the substance is coming out of your system. Be aware that you may have bad dreams, but this is normal and will absolutely pass.

I admire you for doing this, honestly. I am the point where I am preparing myself for coming off cocodamol/codeine phosphate, but I have done it in the past and have learned throught trial and error what helps. It's never easy, but it can be eased.

Good luck to you, I hope you can get through this!!! x

• Posted

...Also, Michelle, if you can stomach anything - try taking a high quality B complex tablet with folate (not folic acid) and evening primrose oil together. This will improve your mood. x
  • Posted

Hi michelle...

I stopped 2 weeks ago.... omg the first week i had the same systems has you.... honest it does ease... i feel like a new woman....x big hug

• Posted

Thank you all. I am praying it gets better. All I have done today is cry and hold ice packs on my head and eyes. It helps for a few minutes. My poor dog can't figure out what's wrong with me just keeps laying down beside me watching me.
    • Posted

Did you say it was sunday your last one? X i started to feel alittle bit better on the friday..... it does get better.. hold on love cos its all worth it. X x
  • Posted

Didn't sleep much last night so grouchy and moody but today the headache is still there so I don't know how long this will last. I have bee taking vitamins and stopped drinking Pop. I did have an iced coffee today thinking it might help my aches and headache but it didn't. Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day for me and everybody else going through this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.