long time Propranolol user with new symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I take 120mg of Propranolol extended release for anxiety, tremors and blushing problems. I have been taking it for about 10 years. 3 days ago my doctor suggested I switch from taking it at night to the morning to better help my anxiety(and it has worked great). Now when I drink soda, or even if i eat too much fruit, my upper arms hurt really bad and sometimes my back does too. it lasts about 5 mintutes after i stopped drinking/ eating. I am not diabetic, and I don't understand how changing it from night to morning could do this. I have been googling like crazy and have yet to find anyone that this has happened to. I just want to be able to eat without pain. I plan to talk to my doctor but he is on vacation. does anyone relate?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was on 80mg for almost a year- my biggest complaints were the weight gain around the middle & the feeling of always being constipated. Perhaps that is what is going on with you. I strongly feel that this medicine effects your digestion in a negative way and this is just another symptom of that.
  • Posted

I have been on propranolol for around 8 months (80mg slow release but now 40mg a day) and am finding that this medication is playing havoc with my digestive system.  Almost constant indigestion, bloating, constipation for a few days, then loose motions. I have had a gastroscopy (clear) and been prescribed omeprazole and some peppermint oil tablets to deal with it. They don't help much!  This never happened before propranolol and It has taken me some time to link the two. The GP says that propranolol does not have

gastric upset listed as a side effect but we are all different, I reckon it does.

• Posted

If it's slow release over 24hrs why would taking it in the morning help more with your anxiety.??

What one are you taking?

I was on Inderal LA 80MG but it stopped being made.

I trued beta-prograine but felt terrible on it. Much different to the Inderal.

So stopped taking beta blocker but after 16 weeks of terrible horrendous withdrawals Dr put me back on 10mg 4 x day. But it's not touching how I feel.

Tried a 20mg dose yesterday and Oh my God..... After am hour it hit me. Made me feel weak, shaky, hot and sweats. Made me feel horrendous so I won't be doing that again.

Would be interested to know what one you take though as the way I feel right now is not good.

Been five months since I stopped the Inderal and I now hate waking up every day to the awful physical symptoms I now have. Like I said 10mg propranolol doesn't touch me.

• Posted

I take 120mg capsule of propranolol. I live is the US, If this is a UK site it may be different for you . also I do take 8 other meds so it could be from that, but I know for sure it is the propranolol. I don't get rapid heart beats or anything like most people complain of, just pain in my arms and back/neck directly after eating sugar. I took 2 sips of a coke and I had to toss it because my arms started killing me. Lasts about 5 minutes. Also happened when I ate a lot of grapes.
    • Posted

Also not sure why he switched it, but it has helped with anxiety. I take 2 benzos and epilepsy meds for anxiety and when I switched the propranolol I still felt better ( shows how bad my anxiety disorder is).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.