Long time sufferer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have been a sufferer since the age of 10 and I am now in my 58th year.  I had noticed back when I was in my late teens that a lot of foods triggered my break-outs and I can be sympton free for long periods of time avoiding certain foods. Unfortunately, from the ages of 11-18 I had suffered terribly and had a few dozen surgeries to completely remove the abcesses or lance/drain/pack the abcesses, before I realized the relationship between certain foods and my break-outs.  Avoiding all red meats (beef, pork, lamb, etc.), all dairy products (butter, yoghurt, sour cream, milk, etc., etc...), eggs and gluten (wheat, rye, oats, etc.).  So, my diet mostly cosists of turkey, chicken, fish, shellfish. and beans for proteins.  I know that it might not work for all, but if you haven't tried, maybe give it a go and see if it will help you.  ALSO, I have found, that if my food comes in contact it the slightest of ways with those food triggers, I will have a break-out.....SO, I treat it like a severe allergy to those foods when eating out.  I tell the servers that I have allergies to those foods so when they cook what I order, it does not come in contact with my food triggers.  It works out quite well.  As it is some kind of food intolerance, which most people do not understand and do not take it serious, but saying "allergy", that, they understand....and I just leave it at that.  Trying to explain these large pus filled lumps that I get if I were to eat those foods, well, is not something I want to share in a restaurant or over at someone's house for dinner.  I hope I'm able to help, even just one person by sharing something that has always been embarassing and difficult to share and talk about.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think in reality if that is your triggers it would still be considered an allergic reaction.

You may find it easier to list those on a (diy) business card (titled allergies) when you eat out, then you can hand one to your server

• Posted

I think you're right. I always say I have intolerances, but you know, if eating certain foods produces these horrible effects then it's true to say they are allergies.

• Posted

Goodness that sounds hard to follow, it must be difficult. I've been on the Atkins diet for 2 weeks, and having spent the whole of the year so far with constant eruptions, I haven't had any new ones appear since the start of the diet. I know it's early days, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed - unlike you, I am eating red meat and dairy, but not wheat or sugar or starchy veg (which includes most of the nightshades). Anyhow, good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi, thanks for sharing. It sounds like you have to be pretty extreme with your diet.For me it's mainly dairy products that are the problem, but when I was tested for intolerances beef showed up too, so it may be worth it for me to try cutting it out.

?I totally understand what you mean about having to describe your sympoms to anyone! The only people who've ever seen my underarms are doctors, and I just don't talk about it, it's too difficult.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.