Longer I take it the worse the side effects get!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone noticed the longer you take roommate the worse the side effects get. I'm on 50mg once a day and I started back in February of this year. I started out with only my fingers tingle which was fine I got over it and the weight loss/ appetite suppressant is awesome, but by mid July I started notice my hair getting thinner on the sides. Now it's October and I'm debating on cutting my hair to hide the thin spots and I looked up the full list of side of effects and realuzed topirmate explains why my eyes always hurt and feel dry, why I feel very confused and am starting to have trouble concentrating, and why I am having to sleep nearly 12 hours a night and still feel tired during the day. Has anyone else had these experiences? I don't know if I should stop topirmate or talk to my doctor first. I'm just afraid of the migraines coming back.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

As a researcher in this field, I can certainly tell that there is memory loss affecting even the most simple tasks. Topiramate starts affecting the memory within few minutes of taking the drug.

My research work shows that, Topriamate affects remembering even a single number (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13803395.2018.1458822). We show that there is consistent decrease in working memory performance across increasing diffculty of memory tasks.

More importantly, what we show is that the people who have better "compensation ability" are more capable of resisting the effect of Topiramate on memory. So if you are able to I would suggest picking up a hobby that requires using multiple regions of your brain simultaneously (eg: music - guitar, piano, dancing and art). I know that daily life is already challenging enough when taking this drug, but to reduce the effect of the drug this is my sincere suggestion. The general principle behind my research is that when Topiramate specific parts the memory system other regions can come to help perform the task. The more the effective these compensatory networks are the better they are able to help stop the memory decline.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.