Longing for sleep after TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Am now in week 7 after TKR in January and am desperate for a good night's sleep. I've not had much pain during the day, and stopped codeine after week 3, just using paracetamol when achy, so I realise I'm very lucky in that respect. However night time is really depressing. I go to bed at 10 every night but cant drop off to sleep until after 1 am, then I'm awake every 1.5 to 2 hours, having to get up and stretch my knee and rub ibuprofen gel on. Sometimes its another hour before I drop off again so I'm getting about 4 hours sleep before I get up in despair at 9 am. I saw my consultant 2 days ago and he says it's pretty normal to have disrupted sleep patterns, and he's given me another 2 weeks before I go back to work so I'm hoping things settle down before then. I've tried Nytol one a night, but it still doesn't help me to drop off, I've done deep breathing, listening to calming sounds, all the usual, to no effect. Before I had the op I could get off to sleep with no problem but then woke up every couple of hours with the pain from my knee, and I wonder if its just habit that's keeping me awake. Also, I'm not doing much during the day apart from my exercises, because the weather's not been good enough to get out for walking, so maybe I'm not tired enough? Has anyone else had these sleep problems and found a cure?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

welll done...thats great. My first TKR was like that. Wish my 2nd one had followed the same way.

• Posted

I massaged both my legs daily hoping scarring would be minimal if skin soft and supple. Walked as much as I could daily and did up to 5 k on my static bike every other day. I was told this would help my quads and 2 weeks tomorrow since op and I can walk no bother with 1 walking stick. Quads definitely feel stronger and leg feels strong too. Physio was over the moon and reckons within a couple of weeks no sticks will be needed. Can't wait to get clips out for a bit more freedom oh and whilst Dr was operating he cut into a prepatella burse on my other operated knee. Minimal surgery a couple of stitches and it'll be good to go. Good luck you'll be fine xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.