Longterm Vulval itching biopsy shows inflammation. Clotrimazole helps some.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Want a cure.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Did the biopsy or any swabs show an infection? If not, clotrimazole is not going to cure it. How old are you? Could it be vaginal dryness and atrophy due to menopause? That can cause itching and soreness. I had the same a few years ago:.constant itching, which slowly became burning. My biopsy showed inflammation but all tests showed no  infection. I was diagnosed with vulvodynia, which is very hard to get rid of but after 1.5 years of determination I was free of it. It could just be a dermatitis of the skin in that area - would they have seen that in the biopsy? I can tell you how I cured my vulvodynia, if it is that. In the mean time I suggest using coconut oil - used raw, cold pressed, virgin, organic coconut oil. You can get it on the oils shelf in supermarkets in the U.K. With a clean finger, just get a blob and insert it and rub it around the vulva outside. I apply it every time I visit the toilet. There are many women on these forums with dryness, atrophy or irritation who have found that it is soothing and moisturising. It is also naturally antifungal and antibacterial, so is good at warding off infections.
  • Posted

Thanks for replying. I'[m 64.5. Ive had this for many years, I guess since perimenopause. for a long time I used aquaphor and it it worked fine. The doctors didn't have a clue because I didn't seem to have an infection. The biopsy just showed inflammation, was what they told me. They were worried it could be cancer since it had been going on for so long and the appear appeared inflamed. Then the aquaphor stopped working and I tried the clotrimazole and other antifungals and that one worked. Lots of creams, like Vagisil, just burn. Last night I discovered this bottle of Estroven sort of gel liquid and it felt really nice. It was in my late mom's stuff and I'd saved it. I looked for it online and couldn't see it. Maybe it's been discontinued. I did try coconut oil, and think it didn't help, but could try it again. I considered that I might have chronic candida, but the diet for that is nearly impossible for me to stay on. I recently bought some new underwear that were microfiber and I assumed the crotch was cotton, but I felt itchier than normal and discover the crotch isn't cotton, so I'm going to find some different ones. Everything points to a chronic candida in my opinion, but regular doctors don't even deal with that even though the internet is full of sites about it. Anyway, I have such a hard time following those diets strictly enough to really reverse this, if that's what it is. Sorry for the long note.

• Posted

My vulvodynia was caused by persistent and repeated thrush infection when I first entered perimenopause and the stupid home treatments I tried to get rid if it - cider vinegar - ouch! Made the pain much worse. Once the thrush was gone (we are not sure when the discomfort due to thrush turned into discomfort due to vulvodynia) anyway tests showed I had no infection. I was determined that I did not get thrush again do I did the diet. I think you only need to be strict for a few weeks, then you can gradually introduce sugars into your diet again - naturally occurring (fruit sugars) first. Having said that, I made the choice of never eating anything with added sugar or any form of refined sugar. I only have naturally occurring sugar. I also don't have anything with yeast in - I eat soda bread. I have done that for 4 years. For the first couple of year I was still getting thrush every 4 or so months. At first I had to take 100mg of fluconazole for. a week to get rid of it, but then found I was getting it less often and it was easily gotten rid of with an oral fluconazole. Every few weeks I take a fluconazole anyway, or if I get hot (which causes thrush) or if I feel the slightest itch. I know that doctors prescribe fluconazole prophylactically for women who have repeated and persistent thrush (150mg once a week or once a month), so I guess that is kind of what am doing myself anyway. The no sugar, no yeast diet isn't so hard. Especially when you read about the harm sugar does. We don't need sugar - we servived 1000s of years as hunter gatherers without it, it is only relatively recently in human history that we have introduced this toxin to our diets. I also don't have anything with artificial sweeteners - I read that the yeast will feed on anything sweet.

infound a good relief from the itching and burning was saginil gel which you can buy online from the manufacturer epitech in Italy. It is expensive and the post is very expensive, but it was well worth it because just a few nights of applying it made a big difference - I actually found I could get distracted by something and not focus on the pain for a while, whereas before the pain was always there and I was unable to block it out.

• Posted

I forgot to say that I also take daily supplements that are supposed to have an anti candida effect: oregano oil, garlic, caprylic acid (in coconut oil), cinnamon, probiotics. I was also taking rosmary capsules and thyme capsules but taking all those supplements was getting expensive, so I am starting to cut down. Anyway, with everything I am doing I haven't had thrush for sometime now.

• Posted

Ha ha, I remember when this first started trying some old southern recipe for a vodka infused bath. Oh my god it hurt. I tried the supplements. If I took all the supplements recommended for me, in addition to the prescription drugs I need, I'd go broke and have a horrible stomach ache all the time. I go easy on sugar, but I find it hard to give up fruit and all yeast products. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

• Posted

Yeah. I've learnt my lesson. No more home cures for me! Like you, I am very sensitive there now, I can't tolerate anything other than natural oils, the saginil gel and, just recently (for atrophy and dryness) oestrogen cream.

• Posted

Did you say that you had had a swab to test for Candida? You know that if you have been using an antifungal drug you have to come off it for at least 10 days, I think from memory, before you can be tested. I made that mistake. I kept going for tests but I was  on fluconazole. The antifungal drug can mask the candid in the swab test. You will also need to get tested for different strains of candida. Many places only test for Candida albicans, which is the most common strain, but there are other strains which cannot be killed by the usual fluconazole or clotrimazole. My consultant was aware of chronic Candida infection so that is why she suggested 100mg per day for a week. This is quite a strong dose over a prolonged period. She said that she had found that was what worked in persistent cases.

But, if you have had all the tests at the proper time and it is not showing any infection then perhaps it is just a type of dermatitis, or allergy or irritation due to dryness and atrophy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.