Looking after my husband’s prostate

Posted , 6 users are following.

My husband has an enlarged prostate and, even though his PSA reading is only moderately high, we are worried that he may develop prostate cancer in the future. His father died of this disease, and his grandfather died showing the symptoms. The current medical advice seems to be that men should ejaculate regularly, around three times a week, to maintain prostate health, and I am keen to help him do that.

The problem is that he suffers from severe erectile dysfunction, and hasn’t had an erection now for around two years. Him masturbating or me stimulating him manually is tiresome & ultimately fruitless. If I use my mouth, he ends up pushing me away in frustration after a few minutes. He seems to have given up now, saying he can’t be bothered.

I have two questions:

Firstly, what are the real risks to his long term health if he doesn’t ejaculate?

& Secondly, are there any suggestions as to how I can help him to ejaculate, preferably accompanied by orgasm?

I would be so grateful for any advice on this.

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted

    There are the ED drugs like Viagra and Cialis. Cialis is probably preferable since many guys with BPH use it to increase urine flow also. You could also look into a device called Eddie by a company called Giddy. Look it up on the internet. Speaking from my experience it works, but is expensive at over $100. I bought one when it was on sale for less than $100. But compared to repeated use of expensive ED drugs it is not bad, and you don't have the side effects of drugs.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I am sorry for the difficulties facing you and your husband.

    If I were you, I would not look into dealing with the symptoms per se. Instead I would look for the reasons behind his symptoms.

    Erectile dysfunction (ED) has many origins. I list a few below, followed by my suggestions in italics.

    Hormone-induced impotence. See an endocrinologist for a full hormonal panel/work up. Hormone abnormalities can cause ED. For instance, increased prolactin, a hormone made by the pituitary gland. as well as, in rare cases, low testosterone can be linked to ED.

    Depression. Being depressed can affect your ability to get an erection. Your husband should see a GP or psychologist to determine if he suffers depression. He may well without it being obvious to you;


    Bear in mind that many anti-depressants prescribed to deal with depression also cause ED.*

    "Organic" impotence. This involves the arteries or veins in the penis. It is the most common cause of ED, especially in older men. Speak to a GP about this possibility;

    Diabetes. Does he have diabetes? ED is common in men with diabetes. This hardens the arteries and problems with the nerves controlling erections are also seen in men with diabetes.

    Neurologic causes. *See a GP if he has any neurological problem e.g. multiple sclerosis, stroke, and spinal cord and nerve injuries. *

    Medicine-induced impotence.* Some medicines can cause ED.*

    I hope this helps.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up