Looking for a Handbook on "How to Get Through Menopause"

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm 47 and started all the symptoms of pre-menopausal with

memory loss, constant exhaustion, hair falling out and periods heavy and then just a week extra of showings that can go on for two weeks. To name a few. Doctor has now booked me to have a Hysterscopy/ internal scan & will take a biopsy if they find any growths to check. He has also recommended to place the mirena coil to help with the heavy bleeding. What I would like to know is does any of this work? Been reading a few posts and this seems to be the normal mode of operation for doctors, for all women, with similar symptoms.

Reading a few other posts about women experiencing pre-menopause/ menopause there has really not been any real research into any proper cure or medicine to help with giving women a real relief of the same symptoms over and over again, makes me wonder if men suffered from these same complications if there would have been loads more research money used to find a clear cut cure. ;-) All discussions and books on this subject only gives us what other women have found works for them as advice . It would be great if there was a handbook we could get that says exactly what you can do to get through these life changing times :-)

Anyone know if there is one out there?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I'm 43 and about 4 years ago had mirena coil fitted for heavy periods and it worked out perfectly.  

I have recently started getting symptoms which i do feel are peri menopause, however the three dr that I have spoken to just seem to ignore anything I say, so I have recently changed GP practice where they have a special interest in this.

I do at times think I am going mad and the last week have felt nauseas constantly, constant headache, exhaustion, lightheaded and memory loss - the joys of hitting your 40's.

This site is the only one that I have found that makes me realise I am not actually going mad. 

I would be really interested too if there is a handbook out there as it just seems that some GP's arent interested and cant give you any ideas. x

• Posted

Thanks Nikki, you are right... Reading what other ladies are going through makes me realise I'm normal.. Well as normal as one can be hitting the menopause phase that is.

I used to have great memory recall on all topics and most days now cannot even remember simple things.

I have never being one to use any hormone pills, think I was one contraceptive pills over a 5year period my whole life. Do prefer to try the natural way, that is why my concern of using the mirena coil this late in life... 5 years from now I will be 52/3 and wondering if I want a foreign body put in.

So let's hope someone will respond to this and give us the "magic book" hey?? ;-)

• Posted

Just giving my opinion...theres a whole host of symptoms that fall in the "perimenopausal" unmbrella but can also be be a lot of other things as well. I try and go as natural on things as I can just because we have some Doctor friends and we know what they do to keep their money flowing which I understand, everyone needs to make money....BUT...treating the symptoms is not the answer. The root problem needs to be addressed. Most medicines/devices all come with risks...that's no surprise. So you just have to weigh out the discomfort and ask yourself if you can really tolerate it, or if a quick fix is the right answer. Everyone is different and the one solution fit all is not something I buy into. Just my opinion though of course. Hope you feel better soon. Getting older is certainly not for the weak! Lol
  • Posted

I got a good book off ebay called the pause x
    • Posted

Thanks pinkcatfairy. I will take a look at the pause book you have recommended :-)
    • Posted

Also just coming on this site really helps! Dont feel you are ever alone as so many of us are going through this, from experience knowledge is power read up as much as you can, it really helps, i swore i was never going to have health anxieties (a meno symptom) but boy did i!, so read as much as you can and like me you wont feel alone in this transitional stage of your life x
  • Posted

I dont think its being weak, if its affecting my work and family life I will try anything herbal or not.  I am finding the doctors are more wary in prescribing things as they havent been helpful at all. 
    • Posted

No I meant that it takes a strong person to go through what we women go through because menopause is a very tough road. I didn't mean one was weak going through it.😊I'm also basing my experience with Dr's throughout our personal friends and the Dr's that I have been to in the past. My experience has been, give meds in treating the symptoms because I'm assuming that's how maybe they are trained?
    • Posted

Nikki keep trying whichever method works for your body. Think we all need to listen to our own bodies as to know what is right for us ;-)
  • Posted

Its hard getting through the life changes. I have dealt with anxieties, mood swings, tiredness at times, the only thing i can suggest is go to the library and look for books on menopause and talk to a councelor about what you are going through 

Yes you will have your ups and downs also medication will be good for the menopause. 

You will be fine just remenber stress can cause a lot of stuff durring menopause so please stay stress free by doing yoga relaxation and get plenty of rest

• Posted

Yes, definitely agree with keeping the stress down and get plenty of sleep. Also stay hydrated and drink water! That's helps so much! 😊
    • Posted

Thanks Susan, definitely trying to live a stress free life now. Never done yoga before... Not been a limber person or to be honest one that exercises regularly... We do try to walk a lot and work in the garden loads
  • Posted

No handbook is going to give you the information you need.  It would only be so basic it would be useless.  

I don't think I would like the coil business either, but then I had to go direct to a hysterectomy and oopharectomy at age 38.  Been on bio-identical Oestrodiol hrt for 25 years and not ever going off them.  Advice about them in these books.

No short bus ride to it - you have to put in the hard yards of reading it and not depend on blogs like this, as it is different for everyone and you have to work out what sounds best for you - maybe even trial and error.  Luckily my gyne was knowledgeable and put me on the right thing (pellet implants) during surgery.  It has been the gp's that have been obstructive, believing in the myths surrounding menopause and hrt.  Had to be assertive to keep getting the prescriptions.

And yes, if men went through what we go through there would be a lot more going on.  However, a lot do go through some sort of 'manopause', loss of libido, impotence, getting fat around the middle, moody, making stupid decisions to compensate.  They just don't recognise it and don't go see a dr about it.  Often it is because their ferritin iron has built up too high because they don't menstruate!

Once you stop bleeding heavily, get regular Iron Panel tests done to check if ferritin iron is building up in your organs.  That leads to heart failure, liver problems, arthritis, and loads of other complications with symptoms exactly like menopause symptoms.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Twice now my reply has disappeared from here... Thanks Sheryl for those books titles... Will try getting into our local library and see if they have any to take home.

Think for now I will be refusing the coil idea and just get the scan/checks done. See what comes from them.

Will stick with taking supplement of VitaB, calcium with vitaD and the iron tonics as they seem to be helping me with my issues .;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.