Looking for a moral boost

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my band fitted in February and have been having fills as planned which are getting less in volume each time. Yesterday was 0.5ml, a total of 4.5ml has been added since the operation

I initially feel the band is tight but after about 2 weeks this eases and I don't experience any issues except the fact I haven't lost any weight!

My question is, for those who have successfully lost weight with the band how much fluid was added until you were stable and loosing weight. I'm loosing heart a bit and just seeing such small amounts added with no results is the biggest psychological issue at the moment

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI - the bands  come in diff sizes with a capacity to hold varying amounts - my band holds 9 mls and around 6.5 mls was the best level for me - i did go higher to 7mls but this resulted in night reflux which was horrible so i had a defill of half a ml - but everybody is different on the inside even if they have the same size band so there is no 'normal' or 'average'. it took me a year to get to this stage with approx 6 small fills over this time and it is frustrating to have undergone wgt loss surgery only to not lose wgt but until you reach that ultimate level of restriction or the 'sweet spot' as it is sometimes called, your band is not  functioning properly so results can be  slow -  just practice health eating habits whilst you build up to this 'sweet spot' and you will get there in the end - what you describe re the band feeling tight for a while after a fill is very normal and i found it a bit of a learning curve with each fill cos what i could eat previously became a 'No-No' as the band became tighter so it is wise to take things easy for a while after a  fill in order to learn this latest eating regime   - i would say that with only 4.5 mls in your band currently then there is plenty of scope for further fills - have you considered joining a support group either online or 'face to face' where you can bounce ideas, info and tips of fellow bandsters - the hosp that fitted your band might operate such a group or you could have a look online at something like WLSinfo who run support groups across the UK and also online - good luck

• Posted

HI

i have just read your reply to this ladies query and i am having similar issues my bad was fitted in april and had my first infil 2 weeks ago, originally it was 4ml but she had to take some out as i couldnt drink the water afterwards. the nurse explained that i may not need much more infils because she had to take some out and they it may just need tweeking to get to the 'sweet spot' however 2 weeks later it doesnt feel retricted as it did. im wondering how you felt when you hit the 'sweet spot' i dont really feel full when im eating like i cant possibly eat any  more i just have to eat very slowly so it doent get stuck? and i still feel hungry?Im aware some of this is phychological but when you at the point when you band is at ultimate restriction how should I feel? what should i be able to eat? will i feel full?

sorry for so many questions, im just starting to feel a little deflated but the lack of weight loss and worried im doing something wrong.

thanks

• Posted

there is always greater restriction for the first wk or so after a fill - so the fact that 2 wks later you no longer feel the same is perfectly normal but if you were not even able to drink some water then it was good that the nurse did a slight defill but thats not to say you still will not need more small fills over time - some fill providers insist on liquids only for a wk or so -  others might advise to take it easy for a day or 2 especially when there have been several fills and that ultimate level of restriction could be close - this is because of the extra restriction immediately after a fill but generally it does settle down - with regards to feeling full - i never get that 'stuffed full' feeling any more - like on xmas day when i would be fit to bursting - but i can feel satisfied  on smaller amounts of food - you need to ask yourself are you eating a bit more cos its nice and cos you can or are you satisfied and do not really need any more - there is a big difference - i cannot tell you what you should be able to eat cos everyone is different - i could shovel down 2 sloppy weetabix but i would be satisfied with 1 - i could stuff 2 fishcakes in but 1 would be sufficient - just cos you can eat it does not mean to say that you should - you need to exercise control -  the band is just a tool to aid wgt loss - it is something for you to work with but it wont do all the work - you will still need to use your judgement and will power - what i find is that i can eat a relatively small amount of food if i am hungry and that sustains me - so say i was out and about and felt hunger pangs i could eat a small banana or cereal bar and that would be me sustained for several hrs - there is a lot of trial and error getting to the sweet spot - i actually overshot the mark and was getting reflux at night so had to return and have half a ml removed - just practise senisble eating whilst you are building up your restriction - good luck    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.