Looking for a walking boot timeline.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I dislocated my ankle and broke the bones on either side on New Years Eve. Got the cast off today after 6 weeks and given the walking boot. I go back in a month. Doctor told me to walk as the pain would tolerate. Do I wear the boot all the time ? How much should/can I expect to walk. Hurts awfully bad now.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

By 'wear the boot all the time' do you mean even to bed? Unless your doctor specifically said you need to sleep with it, you should be fine without it, but of course, as with anything, if you have any questions, ask your doctor!

You can walk as much as is comfortable, like your doctor said. It'll also get better as time goes on. I would say within a week it won't hurt nearly as badly to walk as it does right now. Your ankle isn't used to bearing weight and it needs to be eased back in.

After 5 weeks in a cast post Brostrom, I'm getting a boot on Friday, and I know that it'll hurt at first to walk, but it's all a part of the healing process.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. On the bed thing, I'm just thinking I might need to get up in the middle of the night and not want to fool with putting it on. I don't know about yours, but mine's pretty bulky.

• Posted

Yes, boots are extrememly bulky. I've had to sleep in them before, I've also had situations where I didn't...so it all just depends. But I understand what you mean about not wanting to worry about getting up in the middle of the night.

• Posted

It's a nuisance to put it on the middle of the night but PUT IT ON. Mine was bulky too. But you have to wear it to get up in middle of the night. Good luck.

• Posted

Just got put in the boot today. My doctor said don't worry about it at night, it's fine. So it all depends.

• Posted

Got my boot! It doesn't actually hurt to walk really. Kinda hurts my foot a bit, but my ankle is golden!

• Posted

Thanks! Although I can't actually walk without it lol. Maybe in a week or so I'll be strong enough, but right now, ha!

• Posted

At your point, my cast came off at week 8-9, after a trimalleolar break, it took me about 5 weeks to walk in the boot without any aids- crutches or a walker etc. It is painful and that continues for several months as all the muscles and tendons re-fire. It's all very normal and the pain is a moving target. One day or week it hurts here, next week its somewhere else. I had a sleeping boot from my doctor which was much more comfortable and I just used my knee scooter at night to make things much safer and easier. You now can take control over rebuilding your muscles as your bones are probably healed by now (if your doctor says they are- often I've heard it takes on average about 7-10 weeks for my injury). Try Epsom salt baths for the pain and while doing your physical therapy stretches in the mornings. Do your exercises religiously. You don't need a fancy PT as there is tons of info online. Take an antiinflammatory pill one in the morning and one to get you through the night if you need it. Some days and nights when you walk a lot and push, it can be quite painful. Think of it like weight lifting -when you're building up muscles it hurts afterward. It's just part of the process unfortunately.

• Posted

Use your crutches or walker. No weight at all if it hurts too much. Just a little weight if you feel okay to do it. Be patient. Try a little bit at a time with your crutches or walker. Elevate and ice before sleeping. Your foot will know when you can add a little more weight a little at a time. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.