Looking for accurate & positive info on TKR (mine is in 7 wks)

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've looked through the thread titles, and I am so sorry to see so many with problems.

I found the THR thread so helpful in getting me ready (equipment, tricks for making life easier, realistic expectations, etc.) for hip surgery (2 new hips now).

I would prefer not to read the war stories (just yet) as I do not want to be anxious with what might go wrong.

I appreciate any advice. I just started my pre-op exercises to strengthen leg muscles - many are the same as the post-op hip exercises.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Here to tell my tale at 9 weeks post TKR. Initial recovery was reasonably good, only one night in the hospital and I was ready to go home the next day. That first night home was bad because the anesthesia the surgeon had injected into the knee wore off ... but had been in that situation before and was prepared with lots of painkillers on hand 😃. After that, pain quite well managed generally, although physical therapy is of course painful. There have been plateaus and ups and downs along the way and in fact I just had a manipulation under anesthesia to help with the bending, but a few days before that I felt that I had actually turned a corner in terms of improved energy, easier walking, ability to sit for longer, etc. Although of course you have to take it day by day, don't judge day by day ... look back after a few weeks and see how far you have come! Best of luck to you!

• Posted

My golden tip is making sure you have everything you need to ice and elevate your leg....and also that you have a tablet or similar mobile entertainment, plus an electrical socket, near your bed. Good wishes!

• Posted

My golden tip is making sure you have everything you need to ice and elevate your leg....and also that you have a tablet or similar mobile entertainment, plus an electrical socket, near your bed. Good wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.