Looking for advice on LPR/GERD

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me how you were diagnose with Gerd or lpr?

Did they run any tests on you?

I don't remember since when but I always seem to cough once/twice after I eat or clear my throat if not my voice usually sound hoarse for a couple minutes. Its a weird feeling (kind of like mucous buildup back there) and usually only happens right after I finish dinner.

I don't have any other symptoms, my dinner usually consist of white rice with fish, meat, veggies and eggs (if that makes of difference).

Does this sound like GERD? I did have a barium swallow done but they didn't find anything, when I ask my doctor if I should be worried she just refer me to ent.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

• other information about myself: im 20 years old, I don't smoke or drink, I weight less than 100lbs (Im short and petite).
  • Posted

for them to definitively diagnose you, you need an endoscopy, that is how i was diagnosed. it does sound like you have some acid build up in your throat. I would ask for an endoscopy.

• Posted

I read online that it's hard to diagnose if there isn't any actual damage.

I don't think there's an inflammation since nothing showed up on the barium swallow, the slight coughing doesn't bother me but im worry about the damage that will happen if left untreated.

• Posted

You would need an upper endoscopy under the gastro dept to find out if there is any problem with food pipe or stomach like Gerd or gastritis. For LPR (silent reflux) you would need a throat scope ENT deal with this they can see if your throat vocal chords etc are inflamed. I believe there is also a acid test they can do. I think I am right Gerd affects the food pipe causing heartburn indgestion symptoms and LPR is caused by the acid and the pepsin in the acid going up into the throat where is should not be and this can cause a multitude of problems. Funnily enough with LPR most people don't suffer from heartburn or only occasionally hence the term silent reflux. The other thing of course is allergies like rhinitis and asthma. From what you say your symptoms don't seem too bad so hope they can sort you out very soon. Hope this helps.

• Posted

its not bad at all I don't mind it actually just worry about long term damage! Thanks for all the information, just made of appointment at the end of this month.

• Posted

The reply from libralady is on point. I have seen both ENT and Gastro Docs and have had all the mentioned scans and probes as well as the usual medications. I don't experience heartburn and have all the annoying symptoms of silent reflux aka LPR. Now to make things more confusing, during my recent visit to the Gastroenterologist he tells me that "LPR" is a situation that is not yet truly understood.

So where to go from here is a good question.

• Posted

I do not take any medication at present.

Have read some on the advantage of major diet adjustment but have not made any changes with that because there are so many foods and drinks to be avoided.

Not sure which is worse, the symptoms or a radical way of eating. During my last visit to the Gastro he suggested surgery but I am not that desperate yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.