Looking for advice on UFE

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I was wondering if anyone in this forum can kindly please share their treatment journey with me? I'm trying to decide which treatment route to go because everything has it side effects to it.

My doctor mentioned UFE where they go through the wrist. I guess they use to go through the groin. If anyone here had this procedure please share your experience with me I'd greatly appreciate it.

I just don't know if I relish having the fibroid dying slowly inside me through UFE or is it best to take out the fibroid?

I am no longer having babies but I was hoping to go through menopause naturally. It seems harder to manage to do so due to all my horrible symptoms.

I had 2 fibroids before, but oddly one disappeared. I wonder if it grew into the other one making it a bigger fibroid. I have an almost 7 cm intramural/submucosal fibroid. It use to be 3.5 cm 3 years ago. Curious, is a 7 cm fibroid considered to be medium or large? Thank you in advance for advising me.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Judy there is alot of experience s that people have shared here just such ufe on this website and you'll see so much.

• Posted

Hi, I had UFE procedure through the groin in December. So far I think it was the right choice for me. My tummy has gone right done where I was continually bloated before, no more bladder pain or needing the toilet constantly, no more back pain or pressure feelings. My periods are a work in progress as its still early days but It was the best decision, I feel like I have my life back. Good luck with everything.

• Posted

Hi Stephy thank you for sharing your experience with me. I'm just curious how much pain were you in after you had the procedure done? I can't wait to have this taken care of. I have to use the bathroom so very often myself. My periods are hell as you would know how that is. Also, is it just day surgery or is it an overnight stay in hospital ?

• Edited

It was a few hours of very bad cramps straight after the procedure but I had the morphine pump to help & the nurses were amazing. I stayed overnight as they like to keep an eye on you & I was happy to stay there & rest. I was home the next day & had 3 weeks off work to recover with tramadol & diclafenac. I only took tablets for the first week & then just paracetamol after that. I would say recovery was more more uncomfortable & the pain was manageable. I was stiff & had leg pains rather than tummy pains. My partner had the 3 weeks off to look after me so I was lucky I didnt have to do much either.

• Edited

I'm glad to hear you had the help you needed after your procedure.

I go to see the gnocologist next week to go over my blood work and other tests results. Plus we are going to come up with a treatment plan. At this point with dealing with this for so long I just want to get rid of it entirely. Nothing like having a vampire demon inside of you I tell ya.

So I take it you would recommend the UFE based solely on your experience?

• Edited

Thanks. I know its terrible living with fibroids! You just want them gone. I looked into every procedure available for fibroids & read literally everything I could about each one available to me & weighed up all the pros & cons. The doctors tried to sway me towards hysterectomy because Im 42 & have already had children but that would be my last choice if there was no other option. I wanted the least invasive with the least possible things that could go wrong & the fastest recovery so UFE was the top option for me. I thought try the least invasive first & if that doesn't work then I will try something else. Obviously everyones body & situation is different but yes for me it was definetly the right choice so far. When I get my follow up scan in May I will know the full results but so far I feel a million times better than before the procedure. Good luck with your appointment.

• Edited

Thank you kindly and yes fibroids are horrible things to suffer with.

I agree with trying the less invasive route first which is totally where I'm at currently.

I have a few years yet before I hit menopausal. I will be turning 48 come the 1st of April. I much prefer to go through menopause naturally as possible.

I can't stand pills and I don't feel like being on hormones if at all possible.

I find it encouraging that you feel a million times better than before. That alone is helping me in my decision process. I too wish you the best of luck with your journey. I hope the scan results come May will be fantastic news for you.. I hope to hear more about your continued progress in the coming days. After my doctor's appointment next week I will post an update on what is next for me and my situation at hand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.