Looking for advice, TIA 84 year old male

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

My father has been struggling with TIA's for the past couple of years.  In the past when he had a more major episode, small strokes were seen to have occured in the brain via CT scans.   He was put on cholestoral pills,  blood thinners, etc.  His cholestoral and blood pressure is fine.  He subsequently had a minor attack and went back to hospital.  They found his carotid artery was 75% blocked on one side and the other around 50%.  Not enough to be a risk vs having surgery at his age.

He had another episode a few weeks ago.  Went back to emergency and had a bunch of scans and heart tests.  Met with neurologist a few days later and was told it did not appear to be any sort of stroke as there were no indicators from all the tests.  The brain scans and carotid scans all came back as before.

He is very dizzy from time to time.  Some days he feels great.  Some days he feels terrible.  Today he had another episode.  When these episodes happen, he loses the ability to speak for a minute or less.. he gets weakness in his legs.

I'm not sure what else to do.. the doctors don't seem to be able to do anything for him nor do the tests show anything out of the ordinary.

Any advice?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

First of all let me say how sorry I am to hear about your Father's problems.  If his carotid artery is 75% blocked and another 50% then it's fairly certain he's going to be feeling the way he is.  I'm not qualified but common sense tells me the only way he's going to feel better is with some kind of operation.  The question is does he want to take the risk?  You need to go back to the doctor or consultant and have a frank discussion with your Dad.  Part of ageing does cause some dizziness and as I don't know which country you're in, heat and lack of fluids can also cause problems.  There is a lack of oxygen going around his body though as a result of this blockage so I'm afraid your Dad either has to bit the bullet and continue as he is or go  for a risky procedure .  My thoughts and prayers are with you. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  The doctor doesn't believe the blockages are the causes of his dizzy spells.  He believes he may have a vertigo condition, etc.  That said, he *is* having episodes where he cannot speak, etc.. this must be somehow related, but whenever he goes to the hospital they find no issues.  That do a multitude of tests with the results generally being good.  It is extremely frustrating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.