Looking for answers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ever since I have been in high school I have had low energy. I nap all the time especially after eating certain foods like pizza, bread, oats, rice, pasta and pastry. I find myself constantly craving those foods for energy so I eat them alot but when I eat those foods I feel like my stomach is being weighed down by something heavy. I also react differently everytime, sometimes I get gas and bloating, sometimes I get pain, sometimes the food goes straight through me or I get constipated. But every time I eat those foods without fail I get overwhelmed with fatigue and fall asleep for an hour or two if I am at home (if I am not at home I will have to fend off a sleep attack). Recently I went to the doctor and found out I was iron deficent as well as vitiamin D deficent and I had a low white blood cell count (the doctor said I had a virus although I haven't been sick just exhausted with 0 energy). I go outside everyday at work so I don't know how I got vitamim D deficent and with my iron deficency I only have my peroid every 3 months on the pill so I don't lose much blood, I also eat greens. It seems no matter what I have eaten over the years I can not absorb iron. I have been iron deficent four times now. I have only just begun to connect the dots between the iron deficency and the poor digestion. I feel like my frequent low iron is caused by something. Should I get tested for cealics ?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelsey,

Iron defiency is the main one for coeliacs. Like you I had terrible stomach pains, low energy and felt generally down.The toilet issues I can relate rob as well.

Yes think it would be a good idea to have the blood test for ceoliac disease.

if it's positive once you get on the diet you start to recover and feel much better.....then you realise how rough you felt

ive been on diet for 18 months and feel 👍 

Good luck 😀

• Posted

Thanks Deb, sometimes I just need to hear that I am not being silly before I go to a doctor because they make me feel that way. Last month I got brushed off by a doctor and told to eat lighter meals and sleep nine hours. Then I went back a month later even worse and a different doctor got my blood tested and I had defficencies. But not one doctor has ever thought to investigate why someone young (I am 25) and healthy, who exercises 5 times a week and eats healthy is iron deficent for the fourth time and has such low energy. I often have to nap before I drag myself to the gym. Last year I went to the doctor very fatigued and made them do a blood test and I had borderline low ferratin. I feel like I just can't absorb nurtients. My parents have more energy then me and they don't even exercise or eat healthy. My thryoid was fine.

• Posted

It would also be a good idea to have your thyroid function tested if this has not already been done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.