Looking for best post-surgery clear liquid nutritional drinks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,  I'm scheduled to have a Heller's Myotomy with Dor Fundolipication on 11/28. Per my doctor, I need to be on clear liquids 4 days prior and for a week after.  Are there any healthy clear nutritional drinks?  They all look so processed and filled with either sugar or sugar substitutes.  

I'm underweight now due to the Achalasia and am nervous about flooding my system with these non-natural drink concoctions.  Thank you!

Any input is welcomed.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure how many of them are clear, but on page 6 of the Oesophageal Patients Association booklet 'Recipes for when Food is a Problem' that can be downloaded from their website (under downloads) there is a list of nutritional drinks that can help with nutrition after surgery.

• Posted

For the 4 days prior: apple juice, water, orange or yellow jello...that really isn't too bad; after, would probably be much the same, as the supplemental drinks like Ensure or Boost, are not 'clear.'  As well as the patient's guide that Alan has suggested, have you not received any information from your doctor or surgeon, or dietician?

I was actually on liquids only for a couple of weeks before surgery, and after, as my system could not handle any solids at all.  I have type 1 Achalasia - paralyzed esophagus.

Not sure if I have been helpful at all for you.  Keep in touch, if you wish.

• Posted

Please ask, if you can have the fully predigested drinks (similar to tube feeds, I don't dare post a brand name here), that need no digestion, but have everything in them.

e.g. no protein, but aminoacids, 

all vitamines and fatty acids (but not fats)

applejuice and the likes are not 'whole' in content.....

• Posted

Hi saxjean,

I have Achalasia and I’m waiting for my POEM surgery but last year, while in the hospital due to malnutrition and a sick pancreas they put me on a clear liquid that was so good. It’s called Boost Breeze and is a clear liquid with high protein. Only problem is there’s quite a bit of sugar. It helped me gain weight and keep it on. You can’t get it at a retail store, I had to order it from Amazon. It comes in 3 flavors and has I think 250 calories in each. I thought they tasted great. 

I stopped ordering them since I can make fruit smoothies myself to sip on and try to baby it down my esophagus. 

But do a search for Boost Breeze and it tells all the important information on it. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.