Looking for diagnosis..

Posted , 4 users are following.

Long story short, I've had elevated liver enzymes for 12 years without diagnosis. Ultrasound in 2004 came back clear as did an ultrasound, ct scan and mri in 8/2015( had my gall bladder taken out then). Switched doctors in 12/2015 and he ordered another ultrasound which showed something in the left lobe, but right was clear. Scheduled ct and biopsy in coming weeks

Only abnormalities are ast 159 and alt 294

All hepatitis, celiac, thyroid, autoimmune, pbc, etc tests came back negative. All other tests are clear and no tumor is suspected.

Completely asymptomatic. Could this be a result of the gallbladder surgery or something else? Interested in thoughts of those who have been through something similar.

Eric

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have the same thing going on, however I have not had my gallbladder removed. I have a consultation on Wednesday with a surgeon. But I had an ultrasound to check for gallstones, which I do have, but they found a lesion on my liver. My doctor ordered a blood test to check for hepatitis and it came back negative. Have you heard anything what this could possibly be?!
    • Posted

I haven't yet. I talked to my dr. on Friday and he said he's not sure what it could be. There's a chance mine could be a bile duct injury from the surgery. I have a CT scan on Thursday and then the biopsy next Friday.

What do they have you meeting with a surgeon for?

• Posted

So it could be from your gallbladder removal?

I need to have my gallbladder removed and my doctor said the surgeon would discuss my liver lesion then... I would just like to know if I'm looking at nothing serious or cancer... or liver failure... the waiting game is the worst part.

• Posted

It could be. 1% of laparoscopic gallbladder removals result in injury to the bile duct(or so I've read)

Make sure they do a biopsy during your gallbladder surgery. My dr. said he wished they had taken one from me during mine.

Have your numbers always been high or is it sudden?

• Posted

It's sudden. I never had abnormal readings but my gallbladder started acting up with the end of my last pregnancy so it's been going on for 7 months now. But I did blood work throughout and was always normal!
    • Posted

Not that I am aware of. I can never talk to my doctor more than 3 minutes and all she says is I don't want you to worry. But I would like to know what's going on!
    • Posted

Mine says the same thing. Apparently the last stop in all of this is a biopsy as that is the best way to Make or confirm a diagnosis
    • Posted

So the liver lesion could possibly be cancer?

I just turned 24 yesterday, I quit drinking and smoking 3 years ago when I found out I was pregnant with my first.... I did gain a lot of weight with that pregnancy which brought me to an overweight status.... but I just feel like cancer couldn't be it... it's scary.

• Posted

A biopsy isn't just used to diagnose cancer. They use it to diagnose hepatitis, cirrhosis, etc as well. It's the most effective way they have to make a diagnosis. My stepdad had a biopsy done years ago and all he was diagnosed with was a fatty liver.

I understand it's difficult not to worry. I'm 34, never smoked, moderate drinker and in good shape.

• Posted

My ct scan came back normal. Biopsy Friday. Any updates on your end?
    • Posted

None yet, I'm having a hard time getting in to see the surgeon.... I'm glad your CT was clear.... what's the process for the biopsy?
    • Posted

It only took 5 minutes for the biopsy, but I was at the hospital over 3 hours. They make a small incision in your right side and use a needle to take a piece of your liver out. I'll know the results in about a week

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.