Looking for experience of sertraline start ups

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, after two years on mirtazapine not working Psychiatrist gave me 50mg sertraline, to be increased in two weeks to 100mg.  I am struggling so much on the 50 I just cannot see me being able to increase. Main problems are nausea, no appetite, anxiety, bad dreams, lethargy, depression, now scared to leave house but not happy to be in, dont want to see friends (just not like me). Will this med sort all this out, its making me feel so much worse.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann ,, In my experience what you're feeling is what most of us go through when initially starting on Sertraline . I started on 50mg 6 months ago and went through the same symptoms you're going through... Things got worse before improving and After 3 to 4 weeks things did improve but it does take time. Stay with it as I've tried numerous other drugs that didn't work for me .. Due to long term issues that I never dealt with I suffer from severe depression and anxiety but Sertraline's be good for me along with CBT therapy which I attend weekly. Best of luck Ann and take care of yourself

• Posted

Sorry Ann , I increased to 75 and then 100mg in the last few weeks and am feeling a lot more positive than ever ...
    • Posted

Hi Charlie.  My ray of hope for today. Your comments are helpful, its just trying to get through the next weeks that worries me.  I am so glad you have found peace at last, i wonder if your side effects were exacerbated at each dosage change? I wonder if slowly does it is better than my dr pushing me to 100 after two weeks
    • Posted

Hi Ann ,Not sure about being a ray of hope 😂 I have a very understanding Dr who knows me for years and upped me to 75mg after 3 months and then to 200mgs quite recently.. At first I had terrible anxiety,, sleepless nights ,, couldn't get out of bed , no interest in anything etc etc .. When I increased to 75 then to 100mg I think the drug had embedded so I didn't have side effects ... It does take time and what I had to constantly tell myself was that it's Sertraline doing its thing... In my amateur opinion our brain senses an uptake in seratonin and because our receptors have been asleep it takes time for them to accept the change but it will take effect so stay with it .. Your Dr is the expert .. Good luck ,,, here if you ever want to chat etc

• Posted

Not 200mgs ... I'm on 100mgs typing not the best

• Posted

Hi ann55375

Sorry your feeling so bad. I was told it gets worse before you get better. I've been on sertaline for 16days and had very similar side effects to you. Nausea, no appetite, not sleeping heighten anxiety etc. My appetite has started to come back the last few days and I've had a better day today but it does take awhile to work. I've been on sertaline a few years ago can't remember the side effects being this bad but they helped and worked for me so hang in there, stay positive. Your not alone, this forum has been a life saver for me. Stay strong xx

• Posted

Michelle, how are you doing, it must be some weeks now for you.  Has the sertraline done its job? Wondering too about Nicola.
    • Posted

Hi Ann, lovely to hear from you. How you getting on? I'm doing ok thanks. On 100mg for 3/4weeks now and seems to be doing something. Had a good 5/7days last week then a couple of bad days again but no where near as bad as it was but I know it will still be up and down, I hope your ok and your getting sorted? Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.