Looking for experience of starting venlafaxine on a low dose, and increasing dose

Posted , 6 users are following.

Did a tapered switch from cit to ven. 20mg cit and 37.5mg for ven for 2 weeks, got unbearably low, so cit reduced to 10mg, and ven increased to 75mg for last 10 days. Felt no improvement at all. I know its early days, but was hoping for sonething by now. Due an increase in ven in 11 days time. I feel so down, just abiut managing to exist. No appatent side effects from ven. Amy ideas when i might exoect a lift in my mood, its been so low for 4 weeks, don't see that I'm going to ever improve. Thanks.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Ps, am I right in thinking that next increase from 75mg would be to 150mg? It's like being tortured not being able to increase sooner, with no benefits apparent.

• Posted

Also, any one going from 75mg to 150mg, did you get desired improvements? Thanks.
  • Posted

Took me 6 weeks on 150mg and it got worse before it got better.

I had been very ill for 2 years by this point. You must have hope.

I am still not great but coping.

• Posted

Nigel. U could go up to 112 mg’s!!!!  Would require takng a 75 mg and a 37.5 mg pill. 
    • Posted

Thanks John. I'm hoping he will let me go from 75 to 150. These are still relatively low doses.

• Posted

I tried going up to 150 from 75 but my stomach could not take it so I’ve decided, with my doctor, to try getting off Ven altogether. I’m down to 37.5 and have been for a few weeks. Feel pretty good. In a few weeks I will start tapering down from the 37.5 and hopefully be off pills in 6-8 weeks
    • Posted

Actually i went up to 150 from 112 mg’s!!!!!!
    • Posted

I want off this stuff as well, I forgot to take it a few times and once I'd forgotten, I forgot I'd not taken them..hope that makes sense.. then..supply dried up.. I've had enough of it.. can't wait to get off it completely.. hope you do to ...

• Posted

I was on it for 7 yrs with great results and then one day it stopped working. Thats 3 yrs ago. Dr put me on 2 other AD’s with bad results so i went back on Ven. Its been a year and same bad results. So i’m hoping to be off it soon. Actually not hoping. I will be off. Lol
    • Posted

You'll get there.. like I hope to.. recent events have caused depression..so I don't want to risk reducing dose further at the moment..

• Posted

I plan on doing this through propper nutrition, lots of exercise, accupuncture and whatever besides AD’s!!!!!!!  Hopefully I will be successful. Hope you are as well.....
    • Posted

Hi Irene 

How is your coming off this drug going ? 

What are you down to and what side effects are you having ? Please feel free to message me I would love to talk to you 

• Posted

My experience with this drug has been awful.. however..if you've been prescribed it then ? I'm no doctor but my own experience with it has been..not good..if you forget to take it..well.. I had bad time with that.. Sorry.. hope you get on ok with it.. I'm just done now..trying to get off it and it's hellish.. supplies and manufacturing problems are the excuses from pharmacies.. That's no use to us that are stuck with no tablets ...

• Posted

Nigel, I have been trying to come off Venlafaxine tablets for 5 months..Why.. because the manufacturer or supplier keep running out of them. Believe me..it is Hell if you have no tablets or forget to take them.. Of course..I'm not a Doctor..only speaking from my experience with Venlafaxine..been on it for years.. forgot a few times and was bonkers.. tho' I didn't know I was.. 😔 then supplies dried up..I've been very depressed recently cos I decided to reduce dose myself.. that's too long a story.. but.. I'd never have started taking it if I'd known what I know now.. hope you feel better soon..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.