Looking for Feedback on Tecnis Symfony

Posted , 59 users are following.

For those of you that have the Tecnis Symfony lens or lenses, can you read your iPhone?  If so how far away and how clearly?  I'm 32 years old and had my right lens replaced with a monofocal lens two years ago.  My left eye has a cataract that has formed and I'm looking into the Tecnis Symfony in order to still keep some of my near vision without having to use reading glasses.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2 likes, 189 replies

189 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had my first Tecnis Symfony surgery yesterday morning.  I have had cataracts for about 4 years and according to my eye exams back then... the optometrist said I needed to let the cataracts go a while before removing.  This past October I contacted an Ophthalmoligist an hour away from my home...  they tested me and said I qualified for the implants... so I went ahead and made appointments to have the surgery in both eyes... one month apart,  as this is how it's done in our area.  I was told this week that to be able to have this implant surgery,  your cataracts need to be 'mature'.  I understand if your cataracts aren't mature,  you may not qualify for the Symfony.  Cataracts can grow back if not mature is what I was told.

I can tell you that it was a pain free surgery,  It went fast,  and my post op appointment today went good.  A little swelling, a little blur...  but that's to be expected just a day after the surgery...  I will return again next week to compare the vision test with the one they took today.  It can take a few weeks for the eyes to completely heal... so I am not concerned that I do not have perfect vision this soon after the surgery.  I can read the small print on my laptop... so I am pleased at this time.

• Posted

re: " Cataracts can grow back if not mature is what I was told."

I'm hoping they miscommunicated and that isn't what they intended to say, or at least that it wasn't a doctor saying this but just some staff member, since that isn't at all true. A cataract is a problem inside of the natural lens. Cataract surgery removes the natural lens, so by definition they can *not* ever grow back again. If some staff member actually said that, the doctor there should be informed to stop them from spreading such  misinformation. 

re: "I was told this week that to be able to have this implant surgery,  your cataracts need to be 'mature'. "

Again, that isn't true, even if it was a few decades ago when they used very different surgical methods than they do today. Although they can do cataract surgery at any point, using modern techniques its actually easier the earlier its done since over time a "mature" cataract makes the lens harder and therefore it takes more effort to break it up, which leaves a greater risk of damaging the lens capsule its contained in, which they prefer to see intact so they can put the IOL into the bag.

Usually though the difference isn't a big deal, its usually when visual acuity is worse than 20/100 that the cataract is getting mature enough that its a concern, and people rarely let their vision get that bad before surgery in developed countries except when the cataract develops rapidly   (though they may prefer it sooner in the case of some cataracts on the edge of the lens where there is more danger they will stick to the capsule as they mature).  Modern surgeons today even do clear lens exchange, removing the natural lens in people that have *no* cataract.  

re: " I understand if your cataracts aren't mature,  you may not qualify for the Symfony. "

My first eye had a problem cataract when I got the Symfony. However   it wasn't "mature", although best  corrected vision was down to 20/80. (oddly it was barely visible to my optometrist when it was down to 20/25, it was an unusual one).  However I also chose to have a Symfony implanted in the 2nd eye at the same time, even though its vision was still correctible to 20/20 and the cataract was barely visible (partly since the 1st one had developed rapidly within a few months to cause problems when it first appeared, so I feared the 2nd one might do the same, and  I wished to just get it over with and its easier to adapt with both eyes with the same IOL).

• Posted

The optometrist I was refering to that made the statements about the cataracts... I no longer go to.   I will let my husband know that the information he has given us is incorrect.  I have faith in my opthamologist... that did the Symfony surgery yesterday.  So far it looks great.  Thank you for your imput.
    • Posted

oops, slight typo, though its not relevant to the question, I meant my cataract was barely visible to the optometrist even when my best corrected vision was down to 20/60 (not 20/25, unsure where that came from), she didn't think the tiny changes she saw in the lens were the problem and an opthalmologist needed to diagnose it. Unfortunately since optometrists can't perform cataract surgery, its one of the areas where some of them aren't as well informed as you'd hope. I'm guessing this optometrist might be old enough that they first learned about cataracts long ago when cataracts had to mature before surgery, but since that hasn't been the case for quite a while now, its surprising any still think that. 

• Posted

You are most likely right! The last prescription he gave me had an error in it and it took additional tests to find the error. I then switched optometrists. Live and learn.
    • Posted

I thought I read that you had your surgery in Michigan. I hope it is still going well. Could you tell me the name of the place you had your surgery in Michigan. I'm from Michigan and I'm just wondering if that is in my area. I really would like to have the lens done in the next year or so. My cataracts are not really bothering me so my doctor is reluctant to do it At this point. I have an appointment in a couple weeks and I am hoping he will change his mind. Also do you know how much different the symfony lens cost? 

• Posted

Hi Debbie - if you’re cataracts are not impeding your vision why would you want cataract surgery?  Especially if your own surgeon is reluctant to.  If to rid yourself of glasses the risk isn’t worth it.  
    • Posted

I agree with Sue.An and of course, your doctor, that you should definitely not consider the cataract surgery just to not wear glasses or contact lenses. This site is full of experiences of people who have significant vision issues with seeing halos (multiple concentric circles) , glare, starbursts around lights at night with Symfony lenses as well as with multi-focal lenses. Many of them still need to wear glasses for some of the activities. And of course, many people also have other issues, such as PCO. As often happens, many of the people giving their sales pitch (and that includes the lens manufacturers and some of the surgeons) oversell the advantages of their products without mentioning the other factors.
    • Posted

I agree totally - its not worth the risk for cataract surgery until you really need it where vision is at least worst than 20/50 and cloudy.

My experience is that its easy to expect near perfect results and plan for being glasses free, but unfortunately that is not guaranteed and you can easily end up with still needing glasses even after spending a lot of extra out of pocket for a premium lens!

My left eye still corrects to 20/20 or better with glasses and only has a very early stage cataract.  Before I had my right eye done for its cataract that made the vision worse than 20/50 corrected, I had started to plan maybe to do the left eye as well soon after. But I've changed my mind after my right eye surgery experience since I paid for a premium toric IOL and may still need glasses to correct to near 20/20, its still not certain after 3 weeks from surgery.  Its just too risky to expect near perfect results and expecting glasses free, for some they get that result, but you can't count on it!

• Posted

Hoping to get rid of the reading glasses, but I think I will wait since it is no guarantee.  I thought it would also be good to do now since my insurance deductible had been met.  I am sure I will meet it in years to come too.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response.  I will definitely wait.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your input.  I will definitely wait!  Terrific site--just discovered it yesterday!
    • Posted

A lot of countries once your vision is impacted by cataracts so that it is difficult to drive safely (reading road signs) and about 20/40 here in Canada Medicare or national health cover the cost of cataract surgery and monofocal lens.
    • Posted

Hi Debbie,

?My name is Jennifer and I read your comment regarding the Symfony lens.  I am scheduled to have surgery February 12th and also live in Michigan.  Who did you see, the surgeon I talked to didn't try to talk me out of it even though I do not have cataracts.

• Posted

Jennifer - Are you having refractive lens exchange? Why would you think your surgeon would talk you out of it? Didn't you go to him specifically to arrange to have that surgery done? I personally recommend that you don't do it. Considering you don't have cataracts and can just wear glasses or contact lenses, it's not worth the risk of anything going wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.