Looking for feedback - THR 5 weeks post-op

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello! This is my first posting, although I've been using this site as a resource for a few weeks. I am 43 and just had a left THR in order to prepare for a future right TKR (congenital structural abnormalities are driving these procedures - my knee has dislocated since I was 7).

Here's the scoop - I'm looking for any feedback!

- It seems like my recovery is slow - I'm still using 2 crutches, primarily outside (it is winter, and my right knee dislocates, so while I'm cautious I also need them). I walk without them inside the house but my limp is so bad that I can't walk with good posture, strong core.

- I have been having lower back muscle spasms (right side, opposition of surgical side) the past 2 days, leaving me immobile and in more pain than I can describe. Is this all related? When do I determine this is not normal and go in l? I'm using my post-op pain meds, Dilaudid, which I had been off for 3 weeks (the weaning period caused horrendous side effects).

- I went back to work 2 weeks post-op and I've been struggling to focus or stay engaged ever since. Has that happened to others? I feel like I can be productive for 3 hours max and then I'm disinterested, can't focus or exhausted (since I run my department and its end of year craziness, this is kind of bad!).

I would love any input!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Apologies! I accidentally posted this to wrong group. and am trying to figure out how to remove it.
  • Posted

Well Megan ,it seems to me that you seem to be doing pretty good,I had TKR 9 weeks ago,and I,m still walking with a limp,get tired very easily,certainly couldn,t go to work,and having difficulty sleeping.I'm not taking so many pain killers as i was ,so thats a positive.I still need most days a siesta in the afternoon,I get pain in my hip and buttocks ,but hope as I can walk more normally this will get better,so hang on in there I think we knew it would be a long road to recovery but worth it in the end. Best wishes to you

• Posted

Need 10 to 12 weeks off I would expect the back pain is caused by the way you are trying ting to walk. Hot baths and icing with elevation .

Merry Christmas

• Posted

As someone who has had bad back problems for over thirty years, I can only tell you, yes, my knee replacements affected my back pain, a lot.

The first one wasn' t as bad as I thought backwise, I have chronic pain and muscle spasms anyway, but the second tkr last year, really made my back a lot more painful. Muscle spasms can be awful, the only way I could keep on top of them was with diazepam, which helped a lot. Though combined withvall the other pain meds spaced me out!

two weeks is way too early to go back to work, I'm not surprised you are struggling.

Even at five weeks it's still early days, unless you really have to, You need to take more time to adjust and recover.,

• Posted

Back to work two weeks post-op?  Really????  Most of us were either unconscious or writhing in pain at that point.  Are you still on your opioid pain meds while at work?  Are you driving to work on those meds?  All of that is a very bad idea.  Really...

Back/hip pain on the opposite side is very common as is sciatic pain that goes from back, through buttocks and down the leg.  Caused by walking "funny" to avoid the knee pain so you've thrown your back or hips out of alignment.  This is a chiropractic fix.  Drugs only mask the problem and your GP or ortho guy can't fix this.  Chiro.

Gotta get your ROM back with PT (4-12 weeks @ 2x/week) and then hit the gym to rebuild your quads, glutes and core.  That's how you get your posture and core strength back.  No other way...gotta do that work.

• Posted

Yea the ASSOCIATED pain is due to walking funny. I've had both knees done. I. 6 weeks postoperative

From left knee. Prior to first tkr, I walked like fetus on Gunsmoke. It was bad and people picked. Now even 6 weeks post, I'm normal

. no limp no more bo legged. I do have LOWER back pain and hip pain but I'll get that adjusted.

I've had pain in knees and LOWER back so 've mid 30's. I'm am 49 now. Now I can enjoy life again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.