looking for fellow tsm'ers (naltrexone)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey, currently into my 5th week of tsm, wondering if there is anyone local also going throught the same journey, I am in the 3 counties, UK. Not even my gp has heard of tsm, would be nice to haves someone to compare notes with.

My consumption has reduced dramatically, I am down from am average of 130 units per week to roughly 25.. been a daily drinker for 3 years but have abused alcohol since my later teens.. now late 40's

The worst side effect I have had is headaches, seem to get them every time I drink, has anyone had this and did you overcome it at any point? If so how?

Thanks in advance x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That's a fabulous drop in drinking there, Louise! 

You might check out the Options Save Lives forum online, there are some from the UK there too. It's a TSM-only message board.

Are you using Selincro or Naltrexone? 

For about the first week, I got a dull ache at the base of my skull when I started TSM, but I don't recall any such side effect after that. 

• Posted

Thank you Ade

I am already on the options save lives forum, just not found many others in UK, I get that it is early days for us..

As for the headaches, I have increased my water intake which seems to have eliminated the headaches.. thank goodness. 

Today is the end of week 5 and my consumption was slightly up but my triggers are definitely stress and that has been in abundance this week. However it is still under 30 units. I can't complain at that. 

• Posted

Glad to hear the headaches are subsiding, Louise!

TSM is very up and down, that's just it's nature as the addicted part of your brain gives up some ground, fights back, gives up, fights back, etc. It can help to counter the upticks by perhaps leaving your drink in another room while keeping a NA drink close at hand. If you find that you drink more quickly when you're on the phone or watching the telly, get the drink out of easy reach to help avoid chain-sipping. I used those types of techniques to give my brain a little more time to ask "Do I really need that next sip right now? Whatever you can do to throw some pauses in there can help to slow the pace (and it's a good thing to get some practice at). 

• Posted

Thanks Ade,

I do try to make the drinks last, keep soft drinks at hand and log my drinks every time. So far I am happy with my progress. 

How long have you been doing tsm? 

• Posted

That's great, Louise! Glad to hear you're doing so well with TSM. 

I started TSM back in January of 2016 with reasonable drinking as a goal. I hit that goal in August of that year and have been holding at about 12 drinks or less per month ever since. 

• Posted

What is tom?  
    • Posted

Do you mean TSM, BTGB? It's The Sinclair Method. If you google:

Claudia Christian TEDx 

You'll find a Youtube video that talks about it. 

• Posted

How are you doing? I appreciate you reduced consumption dramatically. Getting rid of alcohol abuse is a complicated process.

A comprehensive treatment plan for alcohol dependence should consist of the following components:

Drugs that block the craving for alcohol

Detox medications

Medications that restore liver function and cardiovascular system

Brain enhancing drugs

Psychotherapy

Blood irradiation therapy

Biofeedback Therapy

• Posted

Thank you margusha. As I am using the Sinclair method and in the UK, it's very hard to find a service that supports this method still. 

My go is doing a full blood count this week and I feel on top of the world compared with 5 weeks ago. 

I do not agree I need psychotherapy because I do not believe there is anything wrong with me, apart from my body's inability to process alcohol like normal drinkers. 

I have tried the more mainstream approaches and they didn't work for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.