Looking for help/advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

My wife recently started a new job and was coming home upset for about 7 weeks. She was not doing a good job at it and was being treated poorly by her coworkers to the point she felt very isolated. It progressively got worse and worse to the point that she admitted that she didn't see a point on being on Earth anymore. Thankfully I was able to get her to the doctor, got a prescription for fluoxitine, and a counselor. She has only been taking the medication for 5 days but she seems to always be out of energy and wants to sleep all the time. How long does this last and when will she and myself see a difference? Thankfully, she is no longer having thoughts of taking her own life but it is hard seeing her this way. Thanks for any help/advice.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Si sorry to hear about your wife having such an ordeal at work which resulted in her becoming unwell. When this amount of stress is endured over a long period of time it certainly leads to depression. Unfortunately antidepressants can give you a rocky couple of weeks when you first start taking them. Some people get no side effects whilst other experience a range of unpleasant symptoms. It's best if she can rest as much as possible over this next couple of weeks. Depression saps your energy and kind of brings your brain to a very dark place where even concentrating on anything is a tall order. The meds to take time to build up in your system and can take a while to see any benefits. But they will come for her.

We are all here for you at any time xx

• Posted

The Charity MIND have some useful brochures on their webpage - understanding depression , etc , i have got some and they are helpful to make you understand more about depression . Medication can take a while to kick in , also one type of tablet might suit one person but not another , i have been on the one your wife is on - wasn't too bad but because nights are hard for me - get to sleep my GP prescribed me a night time one instead then because my days were still bad a psychiatrist put me on a day one as well , now i am on 2 different antidepressants at night , high dose of a day time one for days but for me they are not working but that is also because i had a major upset in July / August ( Physical illness ) which has affected my depression badly . It is good that you are along your wife's side in all this as you are the one wh can tell if your wife is getting better or not . As for her Co-workers well i have been in that position of being treated badly - is she able to look for other employment as being stuck amongst a group of nasty people isn't unfortunately going to help her mental health well being or even her physical health . Wish you all the best and take care x
  • Posted

My advise is to asck the boss mananger for more training sume time halp 

not evry one pics the job fast sume peaple are slow

Yor wife have to asck sun is possible befor get desmis from job

Good Loock !

• Posted

Just wanted to post a quick follow up. It is about 3 months since my wife bottomed out and the turnaround has been amazing. After 3 weeks, the doctor doubled the dose of fluoxitine and it made all the difference. My wife is happier now than I have seen her in 5-10 years. Her counselor is amazed and even wanted to dismiss her. My wife decided to continue meeting with him once a month, just in case.

She can now live a normal life, without being tired all the time due to medication. She does need to take an anxiety medication a couple times a day, which appears to be a side effect of the fluoxitine. As my wife says, I will take this stuff for the rest of my life if it makes me this happy and healthy.

Her job has turned around. It went from her being close to being fired to now they are talking about what her role is going to look like a year or two from now. It was also good eduation for the people she worked with. They now discuss the importance of a work/life balance, sleep, and overall healthy living. She still has a few sour apples at work, but she prays for them and attempts to keep those people far from her life. I can't thank you enough for all the encouragement, information and advice from this website.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.