Looking for help on possible thyroid disease.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi just looking for help and advice. I was a always a cold person. hot water bottle and blanket all through the summer. now I am the complete opposite. -3 and need a cold fan as far too warm. Always suspected a thyroid problem. but all results normal exept for very high tpo antibodies. Any answers would be appreciated.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

High TPO usually indicates an autoimmune disease. Most likely Hashimoto's and also Graves. Both can lead to thyroid dysfunction. If your doctor did not order detailed thyroid test you should ask for free t3, free t4 and reverse t3 and not only TSH. Make sure all levels are optimal and not just in range (t4 midrange, free t4 upper range and reverse t3 low). Have an Endocrinologist look at it.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply. I am seeing an endocrinologist next week. I always complained about being too cold before bit would much prefer that now. The heat now is getting unbearable. I shouldn't need a fan on in the winter.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

The high anti-TPO level is often seen especially in the autoimmune disease Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It can also be seen in Graves disease as well but usually when docs test for Graves, they also test TBII or TRAb antibodies to confirm the Graves diagnosis. If you have Hashimoto's alone and are hyper most docs will put you on a thyroid blocking drug which in Hashimoto patients usually sends them bouncing from high to low and back again. Hashimoto patients are too sensitive to these drugs. There was a lady on this Board a few years ago (her name was Linnet) who was having a difficult time stabilizing her TSH and thyroid lab results when she was taking anti-thyroid meds. After I shared on this Board about my success using supplements, she then switched to taking 3,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine and would take her temperature every morning. Based on that, she might adjust the dosage. However, she was able to stabilize her disease and symptoms. Carnitine is an amino acid normally found in the body and this gets depleted in people who are hyperthyroid. So it works well on Hashi patients to stabilize their thyroid values. Hyper patients are also very low in vitamin D and this vitamin is essential for good thyroid functioning as is Magnesium. Hope this helps you.

• Posted

I do have low vitamin d also. and slightly high calcium. I am seeing an endocrinologist next week. It's like flare ups of pain in different parts and feeling unwell a lot with flu like symptoms too. That happens every week. I just want to feel well again.

• Posted

Carnitine is what makes the difference for Hashimoto patients. This is what I have seen from patients who post to this Board, especially the posting a few years ago from a patient named Linnet. First of all, when you see an Endocrinologist, I am assuming he or she will do testing to find the cause of your problems. If you are confirmed as having Hashimoto's as the cause of your thyroid problems, the best results come from patients who work with their doctors to get well. So that means you doing a lot of research on your condition and discussing this with your doc. This is what happened with me.

• Posted

Hi this is the first time seeing one so I don't know what to expect. Any questions or advice would be appreciated. I feel so unwell today. Burning up again with the fan on. It's like flare ups that happen regularly.

• Posted

Hi, remember that the thyroid is controlling all your hormones. Being so hot is like having hot flashes when you are in menopause. It is all hormonal. It will get better as soon as you get on meds and supplements and getting balanced again. Your Endocrinologist will know what to try first to make you feel better. Just hang in there.

• Posted

Thank you. I just worry that because my tsh and free t4 are normal he will say everything is fine and won't be offered any help. My ANA test is positive for antibodies too. So I don't know of that's related to the tpo antibodies or a seperate condition altogether.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.