Looking for info on hammer toe and Bunion surgery. .

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello !

I need to have hammer toe and beunion surgery , same foot . Pain getting very bad .

I had a partial knee replacement 9 months ago and was off for 4 weeks . ( thought I'd be back at 3 , no way !)Wondering if it's about the same recovery?'d like to get back as soon as possible. Also I've heard you are not suppose to be on it at all ? Does that mean you can't even walk with crutches?

Thank you !

Debbie

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie - I had bunion and hammertoe surgery seven weeks ago.  You have to have your feet up for at least two weeks only getting up when necessary.  I got crutches and special shoe.   My first line was for eight weeks but have been told  I should have another six weeks off work.  Much longer than I thought.  Hoping that can be reduced.

Hope that helps.

Jane

• Posted

Yikes ! Yes It certain does . Thank you Jane , appreciate your reply . I'm more concerned about this surgery than the knee and for good reasons I am seeing .

Debbie

• Posted

Yeah you can use crutches but for first couple of weeks keep your foot elevated as much as possible normal time off work is 6 to 8 weeks depending on job
    • Posted

Thank you Elizabeth! I sit and stand / walk at work . Can you use one of those knee scooters to get around ? Is it more the pain that keeps you off work or that you suppose to stay off it ?

Debbie

• Posted

Most people have at least 4 weeks off work but as someone who doesn't get paid sick leave I was back after 2 weeks Not easy as wearing big shoe means takes double time to get to bus stop then walk 15 mins from stop to work....have to prop foot up for couple hours whenever i get home but heyho I've survived this for 2 weeks. Not much pain but foot a bit hot and red when been standing/walking. Looking fwd to getting pins out hopefully in 10 days and back to normal in a month. It's taken more out of me (physically and mentally) than i thought but the consultant did say it's quite a big procedure and he's right !

• Posted

Hi Meg

Am I understanding that you did go back to work 2 weeks after ? And that was recently ?Did you need pain medicine? Not really sure how long the pain continues. I know everyone recovers. Hope you are getting along ok . You are tough !

Debbie

• Posted

Yip! Surgery on 20 Feb this year. Pain isn't bad but I've just got to rest with it propped up as soon as I get home at 3pm and give it lots of rest at the weekends I'm seeing my consultant next Monday so I'll find out if he thinks all is going well and report back. Fingers crossed I might get pins out 😁

• Posted

Hi Debbie - I have to be honest I could not have gone back to work in two weeks and I'm not a shirker!!  The hospital were very insistent how important it was so keep your foot  elevated and to not weight bear for some time.  I'm still not but think I have a problem with the pin that's is supporting my hammer toe.  

Hope me all goes well.

Jane

• Posted

Thank you Jane ! It seems aggressive but I know I went back to work earlier than most after my knee surgery.

Just am not looking forward to this surgery. How long did you wait until you decided to have the surgery? Or how long did you suffer with pain ? the whole pin thing - it seems everyone talks about the pin .

Debbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.