Looking for info on Orencia

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, I’ve been on biologics for over two years first on Cimzia then changed to Actemra now on Orencia. I had no problems with the first two but had to change from Cimzia because I could not tolerate MTX anymore and Actemra can be used as a stand alone. Unfortunately Actemra caused problems with my diverticulitis and I’ve now taken my first injection of Orencia. The injection was painless at the time but now after two days my tummy is very tender where I did the injection and feels swollen. Has anyone else had this reaction with Orencia? I’ve never had this with either of the other biologics.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I'm on Orencia about a year now and the only time I've noticed this happening was when I was given the PFP clickjet syringe to use instead of the clickjet autoinjector but that may have been as a result of the way I injected.

I much prefer the autoinjector and have never had an injection site reaction with this one. 

Is your tummy red as well as being swollen and tender? If so, I would check with your healthcare professional as this may not be a suitable drug for you. This happened me with Enbrel. I kept alternating the injection site but each time the site became more and more inflamed and finally I discussed it with the doctor who told me I shouldn't have persisted with this for so long!

Hope this helps in some way, G.

• Posted

Thanks Goggi, the sight has a small pinprick of red where I did the injection but not red or inflamed, the soreness is slowly getting better but after nearly a week I can still feel it. Will try again on Thursday and if it’s the same I will talk to my Rheumatologist.
  • Posted

I think so too Mary, better be safe than sorry.

If Orencia is not for you at least there are plenty others out there that can be tried.

Good luck anyway and take care, G.

• Posted

HI Mary

I don't have any experience with that drug but I was on Humira which caused inflammed, red raised and itch skin at injection site. (and pain)   My rheum advised icing the area 10 to 15 min before and after the injection which helped quite a bit

She also said I could use cortisone ung for the itch if I wanted but you best check with your rheum to see if it is OK with them.  I had to switch to Cimzia inj b/c I had too many side effects from Humira but now reaction to that drug so it is on hold.  Darn,  b/c it was working so well for pain and burning assoc with the RA

• Posted

I know what you mean, I was going ok on Cimzia with Methotrexate but I had to come off them because of liver problems, I then tried Actemra which again was helping but I also have diverticulitis and Actemra causes problems with that so had to stop and change to Orencia. I did my second injection yesterday and no problems this time so hopefully it will go ok from now on. I will try icing the area next time and hopefully it will be even better.  Thanks for the tip. Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.