Looking for more information: is this a good resource?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! I've been looking for more research and understanding of the history of m.e. and stumbled upon Hillary Johnson's book Osler's Web. I ordered a copy on amazon but while i wait, I saw that there is a new Osler's Web online platform that has an archive of information, interviews with doctors/researchers in the m.e. field. It's paid access - but it seems affordable enough to check out. Has anyone seen this yet? Anyone already read Osler's Web or are members of this online platform? http://www.oslersweb.com/eye-view - Thank you for any advice!! Diego

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think that sometimes Hillary Johnson can go too far in some of her criticisms, but I've not read her book and have heard that this is better and more restrained than most of the on-line writing (which is what I've read). I understand that Johnson was the first journalist to really investigate and write up a lot of important problems which are now widely recognised, but bn reading the book, it's also worth being aware that there were problems with Defritas?'s work that Johnson doesn't go into. That Defritas?'s work has not led on to anything further, even after the more recent XMRV debacle, likely indicates that she had not made a worthwhile discovery.

?For more recent journalistic work, David Tuller's blogs at virology are pretty extensive, and free. I think that they are all catalogued at his page on MEpedia.

• Posted

Thanks Fidd! That is extremely helpful. I ended up just signing up figuring that it's easy to cancel anyways - but there were a lot of pieces with Carol Head, Maureen Hanson and Jose Montoya. A lot of these people seem to be experts too? It was interested reading their interviews so maybe there will be more content like this. I will stay tuned for now but you're right about Hillary's tone that can overstretch. Definitely will check out David Tuller's blogs right now! Thank you so much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.