Looking for new med! New to this!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've tried all sorts over 15 years to get my bp dowm. I couldnt tolerate any medication. The worst was Cardura where I lost two teeth to grinding. The best was atenolol but became fat and slow. I managed to get it normal for a few months with change of lifestyle but now its back up to 160/100 due to stress which wont be going away anytime soon. So, I need to find a med that suits. Is there anything new on the market with fewer side effects? I couldnt tolerate micadi,istin or zanidip either. please help!

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I used to take atenolol, I never remember any side effects, but that was a long time ago and I don't hear much about it these days.

I currently take amlopidine, but many have side effectss from that, it rules that out probably. I take so many medicines it's hard to find one that is okay with all the others.

So, can't advise one to try, but hopefully I've ticked one off the list of ones not to try.

ย 

• Posted

Yes thank you. I think its gonna be a case of trying more ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • Posted

Atenolol slowed my metabolism down as well, resulting in easy weight gain. Losartan Potassium 50 has been the easiest for me to tolerate so far out of about 6/7 different pills, but doesn't work on it's own so trying to find another to help alongside it.....at the moment Doxazosin not too bad.ย 
  • Posted

I eventually ended up after six futile attempts with other BP medications on Candesartan, which I could just about tolerate. just before Christmas I had a stroke and my BP was so high I wasn't allowed out of bed. Large doses of aspirin brought it down, but affected my stomach so I now take clopidogrel 75 mg with 12 mg candesartan and for the very first time it has come down though I bruise very easily now. Good luck.
    • Posted

Oh you poor thing. This is what Im scared of too . I guess bruising is not too bad compared to other things. Thank I will look into them. Take care๐Ÿ˜Š
  • Posted

Hi Dee,

I had the same problem.ย  Iย  ended up with a good combination: bendroflumiazide, Losartan (which is kidney protective) and moxonidine.ย  it was the Moxonidine suggested by my kidney doctor that finally did the trick together with the others.

Just keep going until you get a good combination without side effects.

• Posted

Thank you Lyn, I will do. Never heard of that one so might try it. Bought hawthorn drops today for it, my gp wont be impressed ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Posted

If stress is a major part of it will any BP med help?
    • Posted

Yes, it will help the symptoms, but not the cause. But you cannot ignore the symptoms, because they can lead to other problems.
    • Posted

The problem is there are often no "symptoms" with high BP!
    • Posted

High BP is the symptom, it is finding out what causes it, that is the underlying issue.

ย 

• Posted

Sorry to disagree but high BP is not the "symptom" - rather it is a condition that can sometimes lead to symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.