Looking for others with bulimia, weight issues, depression and constant battle

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had bulimia for 20 yrs, I have managed to stop myself vomitingin the last 2 years, but I cannot control the psychological effects of it. I've gained around 4 stone since I was last actively vomiting in the last 2 years. But the NHS don't offer help for people who aren't actively making themselves sick. (CBT does not work for me). Just because i am not making myself sick anymore, doesn't mean i haven't got the problem still. Does anyone else have this problem? It is killing me as I don't have control over my eating. I am intelligent and i know what is healthy and what i should eat but I can't manage my psychological state. Does anyone know what I mean???

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi - really sorry to hear about your struggles. It might be worth going back to your GP to see if you can be referred to another therapy service (definitely don't give up just because one thing hasn't worked for you). I know you mentioned that you're intelligent and you know what healthy is, but it still might be worth having the support of a dietitian.

The other thing I would recommend is to get in touch with the UK's eating disorder charity, Beat. They run free and confidential helplines which are open every day of the year from 12pm-8pm weekdays and 12pm-4pm weekends. The phonelines are one option for support, however they also have 1-2-1 chat, twitter support and email support. They also run online support groups every night of the week, including ones bespoke to bulimia. I'm not allowed to post any links on here but if you search Beat - eating disorders on the internet you'll find them.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi katlouise19...

thank you for your advice, i really appreciate you taking the time to write. I am waiting for a letter regarding referral from GP I've asked for, so hoping i get somewhere with that. I also think i need support from

a dietitian, I will ask the GP about it. I just wish that GPs were more proactive and helpful in health issues. I'm sure I won't be the only person who feels this way.

your advice was great about BEAT, and i will def look it up.

Thank you so much

• Posted

Hi,

yes i totally get you. I have had eating issues since my teens. i had bulimia through my teens but now it is on the same lines so binge eating but not making myself sick.

i am in desperate need of help but dont know where to go as i am rock bottom at the moment. This has control of me and i can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.