Looking for positive or good results.I was wobd

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was wondering, is there anyone out there with positive or promising results of stopping meds and taking supplements, or having good results with certain meds? I am one who is so afraid of the meds, and trying other ways, with not much results. I don't know what to take for pain. I've read so many horror stories on a few forums, I. So scared. Please, let me know positive results only tho. I've seen enough bad results. Thank you so much.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am leading a functional life and am taking methotrexate injections weekly, 3mg corticosteroids, Lyrica daily and methocarbonal daily. I take turmeric, baby aspirin, folic acid, vitamin d. I can work, walk 100 miles a month. Hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi Deborah, since being diagnosed with R.A. I went through all the emotions of not wanting to take medication to help. I haven't taken supplements, but try to have a healthy diet, fruit, vegetables, fish and chicken and a small amount of red meat. Try to eat brown bread, pasta rice. I was once told by my Rheumatologist that the Meds don't get rid of RA. But slows the progression down and helps with the inflammation. I can only speak personally, but I can only say that the meds have helped me a great deal and made life a lot easier. I would be very interested though if anyone has stopped meds and tried different ways of treating it. Everyone is different, I know you have read some horror stories, but may not happen to you. I tried a lot of meds but found Benepali has been great for me. I hope others will give you some positive advice. Good luck. 😊

• Posted

Hi deborah78257,

I was a very fir healthy guy cycling 2/300 kilometers a weeek, and gym 4 times a week, a very fit 53 year old with a greta life,  without the medication i am on now i would still be in a wheel chair, there is no easy fix for RA, and the only pain killer i can use is Parecetamol , i am sorry you find all this very upsetting but i am afraid to say that is the way it is, those others on this sight like yourself all suffer in some way or another, others are lucky to have no pain at all, and others including me have pain every day. Any relief has to be a good thing. Imagine how you would be without meds...? I have had RA for 28 months now and i am a lot better than i was being on meds, and i am great ful for that. I also have looked in to other ways of relief and the only thing i have seen on the internet and through hearsay is Cannabis....but as you know this is ilegal , however reaserch is underway to use the oil of the cannabiss plant in to good use.  Chin up my friend it could be alot worse .

• Posted

The drugs that work best for you are jsut that - the ones that work best for YOU. The reason you take drugs in RA is to slow down the progression of the joint damage so you will have longer being able to function. Years ago you found relatively young people confinced to wheelchairs and unable to live independently - the drugs have improved that outlook greatly.

Perhaps reading The Seated View, a blog by Lene Andersen, would help you understand and get your head around it? Lene developed juvenile onset RA and by her teens was in a wheelchair, unable to walk. That was about 40 years ago - before the drugs used now were developed. Now you rarely come across patients in the west with such disability - because of the drugs, nothing else. Lene still leads a very full life, is a great photograper and writes for RA patients on various health forums.

• Posted

Hi Deborah, I have RA and take 20mg methotrexate and Actemra biologic injection once a week. I am feeling better than I have for a long time with very little pain these days since starting the Actemra injections. I get no side effects from the meds but do from diverticulitis which gets hammered by the compromised immune system occasionally. Having said that its a small setback and the benefits certainly outweigh the problem. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Deborah I have tried myself. I started with methotrexate 12.5 mg once a week Plaquenil 200 mg 2 tabs a day Predinsolone 5 mg one tab on alternate day plus folic acid 5 mg one tab for three days followed by mthexate and vit c and d tabs. After almost one year when my condition became stable I started reducing the dosage gradually. I had side effects like nausea and skin problems of pigmentation and discoloration and photosensitivity. Now I am taking methexte 7.5 mg once a week Prednsolone 5mg on alternate days if needed plus vitamins and regular walking. Still feel mild tolerable pain in both knees shoulders and hip joints but trying to bear the pain to avoid any adverse reactions of the medicians. Any comments in this regard will be apprecited for the benefit of entire RA community

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.