Looking for positive reinforcement!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Finished weaning off Sertraline 1 month ago. Was on 150mg for 1.5 years, was great for a year but after that just started feeling worse, so decided to switch - doc gave me mirtazapine. 2 weeks on 15mg just feeling worse and worse, now 2 weeks on 30mg and it's the same... getting worse.

What do you guys think?? Stay on or try and switch to something else? Anything positive would be great 😂

Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I would get off it now and try something like Lexapro which has little side effects and is updated version of citalopram. You should feel better immediately as far as sleep goes  even on on 7.5 mg mert let alone 30 mgs.If you feel worse it is not working. Once off it stay off it.See your doc re Lexapro and give it a go.Best of luck.
  • Posted

I'm on mirtazipine only 7.5mg for sleep really. When I started it a year ago I felt like a zombie for a couple of days then I felt better within a week. I'm not doctor but I would of gave 15mg another week for your body to get use to it. Give it a bit more time, I'm getting impatient with sertraline which I started 13 days ago 😊

• Posted

Hello,

this is exactly the question I have :-(, been on Setraline the second time (first time 10 years ago 50 mg doing miracles), 150 mg now - no effect for my anxiety at all. Now on 15 mg Mirt for 3 months (great for sleep and apetite) + 50 mg Sertralinum - (slowly down to 0 mg), now 2 weeks on 30 mg Mirt: days are still so hard to survive, please, is there someone who noticed improvement after 14 days...is there still any hope for me and user321???? 

• Posted

Mirtazapine usually works quick. I could feel improvement in my anxiety just after 5 days. Side effects were horrible tho. But after 3 months ive noticed it was making me depressed and worse. Doctor took me off it cold turkey and my God withdrawl were horrible. And I was only on 15mg. Took me nearly 3 months to get over this.
    • Posted

It's horrible isn't it... I had no luck with citalopram originally so I am wondering if Mirtazapine is just not for me. Good luck to you smile

• Posted

Hello, yes it is struggle every day... We didnt get a lot of encouraging posts, but I will try another 2 weeks, we have a wedding in a close family, I really like to be there in a good condition ...I still wait for miracle probably. I keep finger crossed for you and me, OK?
  • Posted

Hiya. I think your doctor increased mirtazapine to quick. You been on 15mg for 2 weeks and then went up to 30mg. No wonder you feeling bad. Mirtazapine takes full effect quicker than SSRi but doctor should wait at least longer than 2 weeks before increasing your dose. You are still having side effects from mirtazapine. When I was on it, first 2 weeks I couldnt move from my sofa lol walked like an old lady lol what are you taking it for ? Anxiety or depression? 15mg seems to be better for anxiety as its more sedating.
    • Posted

And after 3months on it ive noticed it was making me feel depressed and numb. Doc took me off it cold turkey and it was a nightmare. Took me nearly 3 months to get over withdrawl. Horrible drug to come off as well. Heard Citalopram is more friendly, mild side effects and SSRi is easier to come off in my opinion as I was on FLuoxetine for 7 years and come off it without problems. Some people compare coming off mirtazapine to heroin withdrawl. One lad I was talking to said he was addicted to heroin for 20 years and said withdrawl were nothing compare to mirtazapine withdrawl. I agree with Ann. If it makes you so ill and you dont feel better get off it before its too late but always seek professional advice from doctor.
    • Posted

I suffer from anxiety and depression but this time it was mainly for depression - except it has brought back my anxiety lol - not really enjoying life atm. Yeah for the first few days on 30mg I literally couldn't open my eyes.

• Posted

Wow... well I wish they'd told me that the withdrawal effects were so bad... I wouldn't have taken it.

• Posted

They never tell us anything 😐😐they just good at throwing prescriptions... Im surpised doc prescribed you mirtazapine for depression, the first choice is always SSRI. Have you thought about changing it for diffirent one or giving it a little time to take full effect ? Symptoms on antidepressants always get worse before they get better.

• Posted

I know, and that's the fear...as always...but how long do you leave it. Yes tried Citalopram, didn't work, tried Sertraline - was great.

You are right about doctors just throwing prescriptions at you, just moved to another country as well so my doc doesn't know me very well. I think i'm going to give it another week and then ask to change. Wish me luck with the withdrawals if I decide to smile

• Posted

You can do it🤗🤗im sure of it🤗in the end of the day withdrawls eventually stop and we are back to our old selfs. Give it some time to take full effect and see how it goes. There is always other solution???

• Posted

Been on mirtazapine a year after being taking of Doulspin it's been a year of hell , told my mental Heath team how it was making me feel (ill) they just kept increasing dose ,I went back down to 15mg for last 9 months and now I've been of it 4weeks and back onto doulspin,withdraws are hell....all mirtazapine has done for me was cause anixty which I never suffered in my life until I was given mirtazapine so going on my own experience I'd get off it sooner rather than later though that's just my opinion I'm sure it works for some people just didn't work for me....

Hope you feel better soon

Kaz

• Posted

Yes my withdrawals were hell and I was only on 7.50mg had to go back on them after 6 days...I think mirtazapine is making me ill ive been suffering panic attacks and anxiety really bad depersonalization....I don't know whether it's citalopram or mirtazapine, I have been on mirtazipine and year bit past few months have been hell!

• Posted

i know we all react to different anti depressants and I have been on a few different ones but mirtazapine has been the worse by far so hoping now the withdraws won't last much longer and I'm starting to see some light at the end of this awful tunnel but I will never use mirtazapine again just wish I had of done some research on them before I started them... I'm sure there are people who they work wonders for but I defo wasn't one of them people ..As I said above I never suffered anixty until I started them....

• Posted

Did you drop down from 7.5 to nothing before you had to restart.  I am wondering if i can just get off this from 3.75 there is no doubt my depression is worse since i started dropping down slowly but maybe this will,lift once off it, wish someone knew the answer tomthat.  I am prepared to be uncomfortable for a while but been on these over two years and no better.  Anyone else like to chime in?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.