Looking for some help regarding anxiety and diabetes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys,

For the past 4-5 months i have suffered pretty bad anxiety over my health with an array of symptoms, had multiple tests done for the heart such as holter, ECG extra and plenty of bloods. Though recently i have started to suffer from some strange sensations in my feet. Randomly my toe next to my pinky toe on both feet will go completely numb, than following this will be a slow onset of aching that will travel up my feet almost like a sock. Last night was the worst had tingling, burning and numbness all around my feet and toes. Also following this is a strange sick type feeling, and fatigue. I have also had frequent urination for about 6 months, always waking up quite thirsty.

This has started increasingly more for about a week. One blood tests i had out of the many showed a low possibility of diabetes with a 7.7 Glucose though i had a fasting test after that and never heard from my Gp so assumed it was normal. The weird thing is i have little anxiety when this starts. Though i have quite a bit of anxiety through the day. I have also just started back on Anti-depressants, not sure if this could be a side effect. 

Just seeing if anyone else gets this problem?? Any information would be great

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Andrew, your thirst, tiredness, depression and anxiety could be indicators of hypothyroidism. I would certainly have a full thyroid panel done.  I think the 7.7 glucose  is a bit high and you'll want to follow through and see what your fasting glucose showed, as well as your a1c. Frequent urination can be a sign of diabetes, but thoyroid disease can also mess with the water balance in your body. I say this because usually by the time people have frequent urination, the diabetes is quite advanced and easily diagnosed- it's very obvious, and you tend to get a surprise onset of frequent urination followed by severe diabetes symptoms within a short period of time (a few hours remaining days).

Please also, do a search for symptoms diabetes and hypothyroid disease, and see which seems more likely to you, as both have similar symptoms. While diabetes is a fairly simple diagnosis, hypothyroid disease is not as easily diagnosed, and in fact many people go decades before they're finally diagnosed with hypothyroid disease. You seem to have a lot of seemingly random symptoms, which could indicate thyroid disease.

Lastly, you probably want to check your diet and lifestyle for foods and habits that could be causing the symptoms. Make sure you're taking good quality multivitamins and multimineral, as deficiencies can also cause symptoms. 

• Posted

Thank you for this! Very informative! I will definitely be following up on both. Its strange i've been having new episodes that don't resemble my anxiety at all, there's no panic just a real fast onsets of fatigue, dizziness and sickness usually actually involving these problems with my feet as well. I just thought for sure one of my bloods would have come up with diabetes, had about 5 in total. Though its been about 3 months since those tests. Though there is no doubt i have anxiety so perhaps its all a result of something underlining like thyroid. I keep thinking these episodes are down to anxiety and stress coming back in a new way but they really don't feel it, i had multiple panic attacks months ago with lots of symptoms. What this is feels very different. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.