Looking for some interpretation LFT

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

Just have some LFT as part of regular check up with my endocrinologist as I was diagnosed with hypogonadism etc. Was put on TRT but that did'nt help me improve in symptoms so we decided to discontinue the TRT which was in 1/April/2015 its beed 6 months we did LFT and it show some elevation of ALT 48 (ref 5-40) and GGT 59 (Ref 5-50) rest was within range I do have some sort of injury which I think I aquired during weaight training in right lower ribs doing squats not sure the pain or tenderness associated with LFT level elevation or this injury.

My doc asked me to do x ray and US for liver and bone density check. what do you guy/ladies think ? I am 37 yr old otherwise healthy.

What condition associated with GGT and ALT elevation?

Cheers

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi your levels are not massively raised so would imagine it could quite easily be bone related, I would love you gamma gt levels as mine won't go below 120 and still can't find a definitive diagnosis.

You will probably find them back to normal next test so try not to worry.

As for other things you will have to wait for someone with that knowledge base

• Posted

Do you know if your condition is congenital or acquired?
    • Posted

Not sure you wanted to ask about my low hormone levels or liver function and enzyme, as for hormones levels my Endocrinologist said it just the way I am eg pituitary make low level of LH, checked MRI(skull) came back normal. he concluded secondary hypogonadism, LH was 2.5 ref 2-9 every time.

If you asked about LFT I have no idea if congenital or acquired means anything here?

Cheers

• Posted

I just looked up some information and a clinical trial stated that liver function tests are elevated significantly for at least 7 days with people who participate in vigorus exercise.  Yours is slightly elevated.

So if you don't drink alcohol and you excercise frequently...this could be the reason why.  I'm perplexed cause I thought EXERCISE was healthy!

Curious? Was the test done within 7 days of you weighlifting?

• Posted

I also read somewhere that exercise can cause elevated liver enzymes, I know that's not the cause of mine as I didn't start exercising till after they went up but if they are just midly raised as sunnies are then it's a possibility
    • Posted

Yes I do some very heavy exercises, including squats since I came of Testosterone therapy my homones level are very low, so I have no recovery after exercising. I havn't gone back to the doctor after I got my screening test eg ultrasound of liver, bone density and general chest x ray. I deciphered the Bone density test and it looks good, but no way I can ready liver ultrasound film or chest x ray.

However to be honest I can see broken right lower ribs in my chest x ray when I compared it to google broken ribs x ray's? and when I twist my waist I fell slight click noise.

But this liver business worrying me more than broken or injured ribs to be honest..

Thx for all the replies.

• Posted

Don't worry about the LFTs being slightly raised. Best to wait until you see your doctor to get all the results back. Then it will give a fuller picture.

These LFTs are not specific to liver damage. It is quite common for them to be slightly elevated with no real problems.

Generally high GGT along with ALT can indicate obstruction in the bile duct from say a gallstone and GGT can be slightly elevated after alcohol intake. ALT can also be slightly elevated from damage to muscles or bone.

• Posted

Ok LFT came back normal but low vitamin D. My Endocrinologist didn't worry about it.. Not sure if low Testosterone causes low vitamin D somehow as well? Ultrasound report say same old fatty liver.

The thing is I eat clean and exercise and I drink once a fortnight 2 standard drinks could be a wine or a beer. I train 4 to 5 time very vigorously per week. So this fatty liver business is bizarre.

I think its cos of my Low Testosterone levels but I can't find the answer.

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.