Looking for support for withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello... I was taking mirtazapine 7.5mg for the past year as a supplement for an SSRI.  I gained a ton of weight and decided to come off of it.  I tappered down the medication and have been completely off of it for the past week and a half.  I generally feel terrible.  About every other day I have sneezing fits that generally last the entirety of the day.  Additionally, I have felt depressed, experience crying spells, weird pains in my muscles, insomnia, overall cold symptoms, and itchyness.  I am planning to stick it out but looking for some support to see if theres a bright side coming soon...  I'm getting really tired of feeling so terrible all the time.  I've also been off from work, as a am a teacher and will be going back to work next week.. I'm feeling nervous about that.  I just want to feel better!  Any suggestions or support are welcome.  Thanks.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I'm sorry for scaring anyone - that was not my intention at all. I just don't want anyone to suffer like I have and unfortunately there are many that are. Tapering properly and avoiding long term use is the key. You have not taken it for years like I did - I took it far to long and it basically turned on me.

There are many in protracted withdrawal - some of us are very senstive and I still don't know why some of us are but this is very real and for anyone to tell us this is not because of previous mental health issues is very upsetting. There has been a lot in the press recently about it all and a big discussion about the long term damage caused by these drugs in parliament recently. Yes it can go on for a long time but usually for someone who has been taking it for years.

I have actually had my condition diagnosed as protracted withdrawal syndrome from a profressor in psychiatry.

• Posted

Hello all,

I wanted to update you all. I am feeling much better and have been for the past week. Thank you so much for your support. It was very helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.