Looking for Tapering Advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

My doctor prescribed gabapentin 100 mg 3xs per day after I was bedridden with severe pain from my hip down my right leg. She also prescribed 10 mg of cyclobenzaprine (flexeril) at night. That was almost 3 weeks ago on April 26th. I was at this dose for 2 weeks. It was helping, but then the pain level got worse. Doctor wrote new script for 300 mg 3xs a day while waiting for MRI approval...almost certain it's pinched sciatic nerve I began the higher dose May 10th. Something told me not to jump up that high in dose and I wish I had trusted my gut. I decided to do 800 mg/day vs 900 mg. I missed a dose a few days later and had terrible dreams. That's when I started researching. It's now 5 days since starting 800 mg, and I want to taper off safely. Today I dropped to 700 mg 300 in a.m., 200 afternoon, and 300 at night. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. I know everyone is different. I've been on it just under 3 weeks and less than a week at 900 mg, but I want to avoid any nasty side effects as much as possible.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beefaith, I'm sorry to hear you are in such pain. Flexeril made me feel horrible. I have Restless legs. The Gabapentin is helping me. I am on Day 5 . I have concerns about this medicine. Everything I read. It seems the doctors are constantly increasing the dosage. I also have that gut feeling. I hope that I continue to get relief at this dosage. Good luck to you! Listen to your gut! & your body! ?

• Posted

Willyo, Flexil doesn't seem to affect me. This is the second time I've been on it. I've been doing a lot of research on gabapentin, and I don't like what I read. If it hadn't been for the nerve pain in my right calf, that felt like the worst Charlie horse ever, I would have never asked for anything. I hate taking prescription medicine. The 100 milligrams 3 times a day worked at first and then seemed to taper off. I wish she hadn't put me up to 300 milligrams 3 times a day. I should be getting my MRI results tomorrow, and I'm going to talk to her about getting off of this and perhaps taking prescription strength ibuprofen and a lidocsine patch. Hopefully physical therapy or chiropractor will help in my situation. Based on what I see, I would look into getting off on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.