Looking for the right smoking alternative..

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am interested on feedback on other's journey and method to a smoke free life.  I have quit time and time again for a month to weeks at a time only to have a smoke again and then back at it..  

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I went down the same road as you Shaylayne many times. Just remmember once a smoker always a smoker you can never never have just one. After 40yrs champix was the one for me but even this was after the seconed time of trying. this oct will be my 2nd year as a non smoker so never losse hope but like most things you must put your mined to it. Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks I am gonna check out Champix..  Nice work on your 2 yrs.

-Layne

• Posted

check it out yes - becareful - after a 12 week course of feeling sick is a small price to pay - to suffer with suicidal thoughts after that etc., really think it through if I had were to do it again I would never ever use champix - wishing you all the best in which ever route you take. r
  • Posted

Hi. Ive stopped for over a year, thanks to Champix. It gets you through the worst few weeks, but you have to change your habits and show some resolve to stay stopped. I didnt have the cravings, but I was tempted, still am, many times by the habit.....enjoying having a cig with a smoker pal, having a cig with a drink, in times of crisis, etc.. Be aware of the triggers and  find ways to cope. I tell myself I cant have a cig as Im no longer a smoker. I try to avoid situations where I would have smoked. Much easier now, but as Graham says, always a smoker......If you cave in by just having one, youre back to square one and have ruined all your hard work. I vowed when I started Champix that if they didnt help me stop on my set stop date, that I would use e cigs, and not go back to the fags. But I didnt have to. They do have side effects, but most ly these are easily managed....we will help you through. But think about e cigs as an option. At least you stop inhaling all the horrible chemicals. Sincere best wishes and good luck. X
  • Posted

8 Months now thanks to champix. you realy need to see someone from the health clinic or your doctor and get the suport. thats out there. It can be done as you have seen with the replies you have had and worth every effort in the end and you will be so pleased you done it. I still have some people trying to tell me to have one but its only because they are weak and jelouis. Go for it and you will get loads of support on here as i did.
  • Posted

Hi Layne, i tried a good few times but failed.. this time however i've turned to vaping and i'm well over 3 months smoke free.. i can stand with smokers and feel no craving for them as i'm happy vaping away.. i hope you find a method that suits you.. good luck
    • Posted

Can you suggest a good vape?  Ive tried Blu and Ecig and its just not what I want..  Ive cut back tremendously.  But then I'll have a stressful day/week and smoke 2 packs after going weeks in between w/o a puff as long as I had the Blu cig there I was fine.   I need a nice drawl.. Let me know what you are vaping with so I can try to end this nasty habit once and for all.  Im not into meds -I read about Champix..  I suffer from depression and refuse to take anti depressants..  As long as I have an anxiety pill around I do fine and use self soothing talks..  I feel same will go with vaping when I find the right one..

Hope to hear back..

-L

• Posted

If you want a good starter pack i'd suggest looking at Istick 20watt but you need to find a liquid that you can replace the cigs taste with, find a good vape shop near you, go in and they will let you try some, its very hit and miss sometimes, i'm now making my own liquids as my sense of taste has come back and its a cheap option for me to change it as my taste changes.. I love the fruits but you may want something different. Yep I agree, meds are not a good way to go (Personal Opinion) sorry its taken so long for me to get back to you..
    • Posted

Is vaping safe? Theres a lot of issues here in the usa about it safety with the throat. Do you vape nicotine? How does vape work
  • Posted

Champex can be effective, but there are potential side effects so just be aware of these. The proven most effective method is Hynotherapy, but at the risk of stating the obvious you do genuinely have to want to quit. Good Luck smile
  • Posted

Electronic Cig...I quit for a year on it.

You can still get nicotine with less affects and less withdrawals.

I only started smoking again because I started drinking again (after 8 years of not drinking) sad.

But, next time I'm going to quit...I'm using the e-cig again.

• Posted

Hi Layne,

It's early days for me. I joined time to quit through the nhs. They are marvellous and so supportive. On my first appointment my CO levels were 28, I was gobsmacked. We discussed options of giving up and I decided to try the patches and the inhaler as I know I will miss holding a cigarette. The first week I went back my levels were 4 and 3 weeks later they are now 2. I feel so much better and seeing the levels come down makes you more determined. Like I said its early days yet and I did have one on a night out which was hard but was so disappointed the morning after it has made me more determined. I couldn't have got this far without the nhs stop smoking. The encouragement and support really helps x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.