LOOKING FOR TREATMENTS FOR ME/CFS

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with ME/CVS about 4 years ago and since have been unable to find anything that helps. Just wondering what sort of things people have tried that helped. The fatigue is so overwhelming at times that I can't feed myself. Any suggestions would be a blessing.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Nutrition is the only thing that I can say helps. Pace your time. Medicare with organic fruit and veg and listen to your body. That's pretty much all that you can do. 6 years of ME and I'm pregnant finally and its hard at times but I have good days and bad weeks.

• Posted

Hi Carly, first let me say congratulations! Having a baby is so exciting and I wish you all the best. Thanks for your information.I had allergy testing and have eliminated all foods that I am allergic to and the bad attacks that I was having have stopped, so I am grateful for that. I try to buy organic when I can but I live in a very rural area and my store where I shop doesn't carry a wide selection. I also found out that I am horribly Vitamin D deficient so I am working on that too. I hope you start having more good days and can enjoy your pregnancy. Again, best wishes on your happy news.

• Posted

Hi Diana,

I'm in the same boat - trying to deal with this awful fatigue, but it's hard to find anything that so much as makes a dent in the tiredness. However, I did see that there's a medical clinic dedicated to CFS in Vic (Aus). I can't afford to go there, but I did read on their website that a mainstay treatment for CFS patients is a low GI diet. I haven't tried it yet, but intend to in the near future. 

Also the first thing my Dr did was refer me for CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), which sounds like it's more of a mental thing, but I found it was more about mapping out my current activity and trying to pace it and gradually increase it. And of course the cognitive side, which is tackling the psychological aspect of things. Nothing is a miracle cure, but I found the CBT quite practically helpful.

Best of luck :-)

• Posted

Hi Amelia, thanks for responding. I'm not sure I know what a low GI diet is but I can look on the internet...I'm sure I can find information there. I tried some CBT a couple of years ago but had to quit because I became bedridden for about a year and am just trying to get over that. I will definitely try the diet and see if it helps. I'm like you, I can't afford to get to some of the few clinics around the World that might offer some help. I hope the future brings more treatment and accessible help for us. ?

• Posted

Low GI foods (low glycaemic index) are foods that stay in the body for longer, and help with blood sugar regulation. High GI foods tend to raise the blood sugar. While this sounds like it would be more for diabetes (which it's also used for), apparently it's common for CFS sufferers to have undetected poor blood sugar regulation, without having diabetes, and there are some good success stories of people with CFS who have tried the low GI diet.

I can't post a link here, but if you google low GI foods, it'll come up with various sites listing low, medium and high GI foods. I personally have difficulty adjusting my diet, but I must buckle down and try this one. 

I hope you find something to help you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.